An Optical MIM Pressure Sensor Based on a Double Square Ring Resonator
- 3 Downloads
In this paper, we have proposed a metal-insulator-metal (MIM) pressure sensor which consists of two plasmonic waveguides and a double square ring resonator. The two square rings are connected via a rectangular patch located between the two of them. The surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) can be transferred from a square ring to the other through this patch. The finite-difference time-domain method (FDTD) has been used to simulate the device. Applying a pressure on the structure, it deforms, and a red shift of 103 nm in the resonance wavelength has been calculated. The deformation is linearly proportional to the wavelength shift in a wide range of wavelength. The proposed optical plasmonic pressure sensor has a sensitivity of 16.5 nm/MPa which makes it very suitable for using in biological and biomedical engineering.
KeywordsPressure sensor plasmonic resonator square ring resonator MIM structure surface plasmon polaritons
This work was supported by Shahid Rajaee Teacher Training University under Grant No. 3359.
- A. Polman, “Plasmon slot waveguides: towards chip-scale propagation with subwavelength-scale localization,” Physical Review B, 2006, 73(3): 1–9.Google Scholar
- A. A. Maradudin, Introduction: plasmonics and its building blocks. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier B. V., 2014: 1–36.Google Scholar
- C. Paper, S. Upadhyay, J. Foundation, V. Laxmi, K. Govt, and C. C. Govt, “Designing and optimization of nano-ring resonator-based photonic pressure sensor,” in Proceeding of International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Sustainable Development (ICT4SD), Ahmedabad, India, 2016, pp. 269–278.Google Scholar
- M. C. Oh, J. W. Kim, K. J. Kim, and S. S. Lee, “Optical pressure sensors based on vertical directional coupling with flexible polymer waveguides,” IEEE Journals & Magazines, 2009, 21(8): 501–503.Google Scholar
- S. Olyaee and A. A. Dehghani, “Nano-pressure sensor using high quality photonic crystal cavity pesonator,” in Proceeding of IET 8th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP 2012), Poznan, Poland, 2012, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.