Design and optimization of photonic crystal fiber based sensor for gas condensate and air pollution monitoring
- 721 Downloads
In this paper, a hexagonal shape photonic crystal fiber (H-PCF) has been proposed as a gas sensor of which both micro-structured core and cladding are organized by circular air cavities. The reported H-PCF has a single layer circular core which is surrounded by a five-layer hexagonal cladding. The overall pretending process of the H-PCF is completed by using a full vectorial finite element method (FEM) with perfectly matched layer (PML) boundary condition. All geometrical parameters like diameters and pitches of both core and cladding regions have fluctuated with an optimized structure. After completing the numerical analysis, it is clearly visualized that the proposed H-PCF exhibits high sensitivity with low confinement loss. The investigated results reveal the relative sensitivity of 56.65% and confinement loss of 2.31×10-5 dB/m at the 1.33-μm wavelength. Moreover, effective area, nonlinearity, and V-parameter of the suggested PCF are also briefly described.
KeywordsRelative sensitivity confinement loss gas sensor effective area nonlinearity and photonic crystal fiber
- M. I. Islam, M. Khatun, S. Sen, K. Ahmed, and S. Asaduzzaman, “Spiral photonic crystal fiber for gas sensing application,” in Proceeding of IEEE 9th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2016, pp. 20–22.Google Scholar
- J. Han, S. Y. Li, and T. Zhang, “Design on a novel hybrid-core photonic crystal fiber with large birefringence and high nonlinearity,” Optical and Quantum Electronics, 2016, 48(371): 1–11.Google Scholar
- D. Q. Yang, W. Yuan, and Y. F. Ji, “Nanoparticle detection using fano-resonance photonic crystal on optical fiber-tip,” SPIE, 2016, 10158: 1015811–1015818.Google Scholar
- S. Rota-Rodrigo, A. Lopez-Aldaba, R. A. Perez-Herrera, M. D. L. Bautista, O. Esteban, and M. Lopez-Amo, “Simultaneous measurement of humidity and vibration based on a microwire sensor system using fast Fourier transform technique,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2016, 34(19): 4525–4530.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M. Morshed, S. Asaduzzaman, and K. Ahmed, “Proposal of simple gas sensor based on micro structure optical fiber,” in IEEE International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Information Communication Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 1–5, 2015.Google Scholar
- M. Morshed, M. F. H. Airf, S. Asaduzzaman, and K. Ahmed, “Design and characterization of photonic crystal fiber for sensing applications,” European Journal of Scientific Research, 2016, 11(12): 228–235.Google Scholar
- S. Asaduzzaman, K. Ahmed, and B. K. Paul, “Slotted-core photonic crystal fiber in gas-sensing application,” SPIE, 2016, 10025: 100250O1–100250O9.Google Scholar
- M. N. Petrovich, A. Brakel, F. Poletti, K. Mukasa, E. Austin, V. Finazzi, et al., “Microstructured fibers for sensing applications,” SPIE, 2005, 6005: 60050E1–60050E15.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/ licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.