Effect of radio frequency magnetron sputtering power on structural and optical properties of Ti6Al4V thin films
In this research, the effects of target sputtering power on the structure and optical properties of radio frequency (RF) sputtered Ti6Al4V films were investigated. Different sputtering RF powers were used to produce different thicknesses of Ti6Al4V thin films. From the X-ray diffraction, it was found that the Ti6A14V films had polycrystalline cubic and hexagonal structures and increased films crystallinity and crystalline size with increasing the sputtering power. Atomic forces microscopy (AFM) gave us a nanometric film character, films homogeneity, and surfaces roughness. A higher degree of roughness and average grain size with increasing RF power was exhibited. Band gap and refractive index of Ti6Al4V thin films varied with sputtering RF powers.
KeywordsRF magnetron sputtering Ti6Al4V structural properties optical properties
We acknowledge the support of the Dept. of Physics, College of Education for Pure Sciences, University of Anbar and Ministry of Science and Technology, Center of Applied Physics, Baghdad, Iraq. We acknowledge Aqeel F. Hasan, Jamal. F. Hamodi, and Mohammed Odaa for their precious help.
- C. M. Garzón, J. E. Alfonso, and E. C. Corredor, “Characterization of adherence for Ti6Al4V films RF magnetron sputter grown on stainless steels,” D. Reidel, 1981, 81(185): 175–181.Google Scholar
- H. Copete, F. Vargas, and A. Echavarría, “Mediante proyección térmica por combustión oxiacetilénica sobre un sustrato de ti6al4v in vitro evaluation of oxy-fuel thermal sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings onto ti6al4v substrates,” Dyna, 2013, 10(177): 101–107.Google Scholar
- T. Falcade, L. M. Antonini, T. E. Schmitzhaus, and C. D. F. Malfatti, “Tribological study of ti6al4v coated with amorphous carbon films obtained by electrodeposition,” in 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Porto, Portugal, pp. 1–11, 2012.Google Scholar
- K. V. Dijk, H. G. Schaeken, J. C. G. Wolke, C. H. M. Maree, F. H. P. M. Habraken, J. Verhoeven, et al., “Influence of discharge power level on the properties of hydroxyapatite films deposited on Ti6A14V with RF magnetron sputtering,” Journal Biomedical Materials Research, 1995, 29(2): 269–276.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- N. Muslim, Y. W. Soon, C. M. Lim, and N. Y. Voo, “Influence of sputtering power on properties of titanium thin films deposited by rf magnetron sputtering,” ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2015, 10(16): 7184–7189.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.