3D Parallel Multigrid Methods for Real-Time Fluid Simulation
The multigrid method is widely used in fluid simulation because of its strong convergence. In addition to operating accuracy, operational efficiency is also an important factor to consider in order to enable real-time fluid simulation in computer graphics. For this problem, we compared the performance of the Algebraic Multigrid and the Geometric Multigrid in the V-Cycle and Full-Cycle schemes respectively, and analyze the convergence and speed of different methods. All the calculations are done on the parallel computing of GPU in this paper. Finally, we experiment with the 3D-grid for each scale, and give the exact experimental results.
KeywordsFluid simulation Algebraic multigrid (AMG) Geometric multigrid (GMG) V-Cycle Full-Cycle
The authors would like to acknowledge the support from the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (“863” Program) [No. 2015AA016404], the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities [No. 3132016310], the Special Research Project of Marine Public Welfare Industry [No. 201505017-4] and the Traffic Youth Science and Technology Talent Project [No. 36260401].
- 3.Foster, N., & Fedkiw, R. (2001). Practical animation of liquids. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH (pp. 23–30).Google Scholar
- 4.Chentanez, N., & Müller, M. (2011) Real-time Eulerian water simulation using a restricted tall cell grid. In International conference on computer graphics and interactive techniques (Vol. 30(4)).Google Scholar
- 6.Trottenberg, U., Oosterlee, C. W., & Schller, A. (2001). Multigrid. San Diego: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 11.Brandt, A., Mccormick, S. F., & Ruge, J. W. (1985). Algebraic multigrid (AMG) for sparse matrix equations. In D. J. Evans (Ed.), Sparsity and its applications (pp. 257–284). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- 12.Napov, A. (2010). Algebraic, analysis of V-cycle multigrid and aggregation-based two-grid methods. Ph.D. thesis, Service de Métrologie Nucléaire. Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 19.Goddeke, D., Strzodka, R., & Turek, S. (2005). Accelerating double precision FEM simulations with GPUs. In Proceedings of ASIM.Google Scholar
- 21.Mcadams, A., Sifakis, E., & Teran, J. (2010). A parallel multigrid poisson solver for fluids simulation on large grids. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH/eurographics symposium on computer animation (pp. 65–74).Google Scholar