In-Plane Stability of Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Parabolic Truss Arches
- 85 Downloads
For determining the in-plane buckling resistance of a concrete-filled steel tubular (CFST) arch, the current technical code GB50923-2013 specifies the use of an equivalent beam-column method which ignores the effect of rise-to-span ratio. This may induce a gap between the calculated result and actual stability capacity. In this study, a FE model is used to predict the buckling behavior of CFST truss arches subjected to uniformly distributed loads. The influence of rise-to-span ratio on the capacity of truss arches is investigated, and it is found that the stability capacity reduces as rise-to-span ratio declines. Besides, the calculations of equivalent slenderness ratio for different truss sections are made to consider the effect of shear deformation. Moreover, based on FE results, a new design equation is proposed to predict the in-plane strength of CFST parabolic truss arches under uniformly distributed loads.
KeywordsConcrete-filled steel tube Truss arch In-plane stability Rise-to-span ratio Shear deformation
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Number 51378152).
- Chen, B. C., & Wei, J. G. (2007). Experiments for ultimate load-carrying capacity of tubular arches under five in-plane symmetrical concentrated loads and the simplified calculation method. Engineering Mechanics, 6, 73–78. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Chen, B. C., Wei, J. G., & Lin, Y. (2006). Experimental study on tubular arches under unsymmetrical two concentrically in-plane loads. China Civil Engineering Journal, 39(1), 43–49. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- DBJ/T 13-136-2011. (2011). Technical specification for concrete-filled steel tubular arch bridges. Fuzhou: Fujian Provincial Department of Housing and Urban-Rural Development. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- DIN18800-2. (1990). Stahlbauten, Teil 2: Stabilitätsfälle, Knicken von Stäben und Stabwerken. Google Scholar
- Eurocode 3 (EC3) Part 2. (1993). Design of steel structures: Steel bridges. London: European Committee for Standardization.Google Scholar
- GB50923. (2013). Technical code for concrete-filled steel tube arch bridges. Beijing: China Architecture and Building Press. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Geng, Y. (2011). Time-dependent behaviour of concrete-filled steel tubular arch bridges. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia (pp. 174–209).Google Scholar
- Gjelsvik, A., & Bodner, S. R. (1962). The energy criterion and snap buckling of arches. Journal of Engineering Mechanics Division, 88(5), 87–134.Google Scholar
- Zhong, S. T. (2003). The concrete-filled steel tubular structures. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press. (in Chinese).Google Scholar