Structural Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Slab Rigid-frame Bridge with H-Shaped Steel Girders
- 86 Downloads
This study aims towards the improvement of a reinforced concrete rigid-frame bridge in an effort to reduce the construction and maintenance costs, and achieve an improved seismic performance. Correspondingly, a new structural rigid connection is proposed for H-shaped steel girders and reinforcing bars at the corner of the rigid-frame structure. Both experiments and numerical analyses were performed. Prototype models were constructed and subjected to static loading tests to reveal their load-carrying capacity and failure mode. Numerical models were then developed using finite elements to evaluate the experimental results. Analyses elicited good agreement between simulation and experimental data and validated the numerical models. Moreover, the validity of the proposed rigid connection was confirmed, and the failure behavior was clarified. Finally, a full-size model of the reinforced concrete rigid-frame bridge with H-shaped steel girders was constructed and subjected to destructive loading tests to evaluate structural integrity of the proposed rigid connection.
KeywordsReinforced concrete rigid-frame bridge H-shaped steel girder Load-carrying capacity Nonlinear structural analysis Galvanized steel
- DIANA FEA (2017). User’s manual of FX + for DIANA Version 9.6. https://dianafea.com/manuals/d101/Diana.html. Accessed April 2017.
- Fukada, S., Kajikawa, Y., Tokuno, M. (2006). Load-carrying and fatigue capacity of reinforced concrete slab bridge with H-shaped steels. In Proceedings of the tenth east asia-pacific conference on structural engineering and construction. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand (pp. 281–286).Google Scholar
- Fukada, S., Kajikawa, Y., Tokuno, M. (2008). Structural behavior of reinforced concrete slab rigid frame bridge with H-shaped steels. In Proceedings of the eleventh east asia-pacific conference on structural engineering and construction. National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- JSCE. (2012). Standard specifications for concrete structures: Design code. Concrete Committee.Google Scholar
- Takagi, M., Nakamura, S., & Muroi, S. (2003). An experimental investigation on rigid connection of steel-concrete composite rigid frame bridge using Perfo-Bond Rib. Journal of Structural Engineering, 49A, 1063–1074.Google Scholar
- Tokuno, M., Tsuda, K., Kajikawa, Y., & Fukada, S. (2005). Reinforced concrete slab bridge with H-shaped steels. Bridge and Foundation Engineering, 39, 49–55.Google Scholar
- Zellner, W. (1987). Recent designs of composite bridges and a new type of shear connectors. In Proceedings of ASCE/IABSE engineering foundation conference on composite construction in steel and concrete. Henniker, New Hampshire (pp. 240–252).Google Scholar