Ecosystems, Ecological Restoration, and Economics: Does Habitat or Resource Equivalency Analysis Mean Other Economic Valuation Methods Are Not Needed?
Coastal and other area resources such as tidal wetlands, seagrasses, coral reefs, wetlands, and other ecosystems are often harmed by environmental damage that might be inflicted by human actions, or could occur from natural hazards such as hurricanes. Society may wish to restore resources to offset the harm, or receive compensation if this is not possible, but faces difficult choices among potential compensation projects. The optimal amount of restoration efforts can be determined by non-market valuation methods, service-to-service, or resource-to-resource approaches such as habitat equivalency analysis (HEA). HEA scales injured resources and lost services on a one-to-one trade-off basis. Here, we present the main differences between the HEA approach and other non-market valuation approaches. Particular focus is on the role of the social discount rate, which appears in the HEA equation and underlies calculations of the present value of future damages. We argue that while HEA involves elements of economic analysis, the assumption of a one-to-one trade-off between lost and restored services sometimes does not hold, and then other non-market economic valuation approaches may help in restoration scaling or in damage determination.
KeywordsHabitat/resource equivalency analysis Valuation of resources Environmental restoration
Part of this paper was presented at the 5th National Conference on Coastal and Estuarine Habitat Restoration, November, 2010, Galveston, Texas and audience and panel member comments are appreciated. The authors thank Frank Lupi, Mike Kaplowitz and Linwood Pendleton for engaging in discussions about the topic and Urs Kreuter, Mark Southerland, and Brad Wilcox for encouragement on this paper. Michele Zinn gave us excellent editorial assistance in preparing the final version of the manuscript. Shaw acknowledges support from the U.S.D.A. Hatch funding program.
- Allen II, P.D., D.J. Chapman, and D. Lane. 2005. Economics and ecological risk assessment. In Applications to watershed management, ed. R.J.F. Bruins, and M.T. Heberling, 165–184. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- America’s Wetland Foundation February Newsletter. 2012. America’s wetland foundation to congress: Failure to restore gulf coast will harm US economy. January 20, 2012. http://www.americaswetland.com/article.cfm?id=1634. Accessed 25 Feb 2012.
- Bardi, E., M.T. Brown, K.C. Reiss, and M.J. Cohen. 2011. Uniform mitigation assessment method training manual. http://sfrc.ufl.edu/ecohydrology/UMAM_Training_Manual_ppt.pdf. Accessed 27 May 2012.
- Belli, P., J. Anderson, H. Barnum, J. Dixon, and J.P. Tan. 1998. Handbook on economic analysis of investment operations. Operational core services network learning and leadership center. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTCDD/Resources/HandbookEA.pdf. Accessed 27 May 2012.
- Carson, R.T., W.M. Hanemann, R.J. Kopp, J.A. Krosnick, R.C. Mitchell, S. Presser, P.A. Ruud, and V.K. Smith. 1994. Perspective Interim Lost Use Value due to PCB and DDT Contamination in the Southern California Bight. Report Prepared for NOAA. http://www.econ.ucsd.edu/~rcarson/papers/SCalDDT.pdf. Accessed 28 June 2012.
- Christoforou, T. 2004. The precautionary principle, risk assessment, and the comparative role of science in the European community and the US legal systems. In Green giants? Environmental policies of the United State and the European Union, ed. N.J. Vig, and M.G. Gaure, 17–52. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Cole, S. 2008. Environmental compensation using the REMEDE toolkit: How much is enough? http://www.envliability.eu/docs/Stockholm_presentations/Scott_Cole_REMEDE_Stockholm.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2012.
- Cole, S., and B. Kriström. 2008. Tank Collapse and Chemical Release (Helsingborg, Sweden). Case Study Report. http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D12CaseStudies/D12_REMEDE_Tank_Collapse_Sweden_Oct%2008.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2012.
- Conceição, P., Y. Zhang, and R. Bandura. 2007. Brief on discounting in the context of climate change economics. UNDP. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2007-8/papers/Conceicao_Zhang_Bandura_final.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2012.
- Cox, J. 2007. Use of resource equivalency methods in environmental damage assessment in the EU with respect to the habitats, wild birds and EIA directives: Resource equivalency methods for assessing environmental damage in the EU (REMEDE) Deliverable No. 6B. http://www.envliability.eu/pages/publications.htm. Accessed 28 June 2012.
- Crosett, K.M., T.J. Culliton, P.C. Wiley, and T.R. Goodspeed. 2004. Population Trends Along the Coastal United States: 1980–2008. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Special Report. Washington, DC. http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/programs/mb/pdfs/coastal_pop_trends_complete.pdf. Accessed 28 June 2012.
- Dahl, T.E. 1990. Wetlands losses in the United States: 1780’s to 1980’s. Washington, DC: US Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service.Google Scholar
- Department of the Interior, US. 1986. Natural resource damage assessments; Final rule, Federal Register 51 (No. 1148, August 1), Washington, DC, 27673–27753.Google Scholar
- English, E.P., C.H. Peterson, H. Charles, and C.M. Voss. 2009. Ecology and economics of compensatory restoration. NOAA Coastal Response Research Center (CRRC), New Hampshire.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2005. Impact assessment guidelines, SEC (2005) 791. Annex 12 Discounting. June 15 with March 2006 update. http://www.mfcr.cz/cps/rde/xbcr/mfcr/SEC_2005_791_Impact_Assessment_Guidelines_2006update.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Evans, D.J. 2006. Social discount rates for the European Union. Departmental working papers 2006–20, Department of Economics, Business and Statistics at Università degli Studi di Milano.Google Scholar
- Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection. 2011. Uniform mitigation assessment methodology. Updated on November 14, 2011. http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/wetlands/mitigation/umam.htm. Accessed 27 May 2012.
- Frederick, S., G. Loewenstein, and T. O’Donoghue. 2002. Time discounting and time preference: A critical review. Journal of Economic Literature XL(June): 351–401.Google Scholar
- Grijalva, T., R. Berrens, and W.D. Shaw. 2011. Species preservation versus development: An experimental investigation under uncertainty. Ecological Economics 70(5/March): 995–1005.Google Scholar
- Hausman, J.A. (ed.). 1993. Contingent valuation: A critical assessment. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Her Majesty Treasure. 2003. Appraisal and evaluation in central government. In The green book. London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office.Google Scholar
- Hull, D. 2011. Protecting the desert tortoise. Mercury News. http://www.mercurynews.com. Accessed 26 Oct 2011.
- Kaplotwitz, M.D., F. Lupi, and D. Bailey. 2008. Wetland mitigation banking: The banker’s perspective. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 63(3/May): 162–172.Google Scholar
- King, D.M., and K.J. Adler. 1991. Scientifically defensible compensation ratios for wetland mitigation. Washington, DC: US Environmental Protection Agency.Google Scholar
- Lopez, H. 2008. The social discount rate: Estimates for nine Latin American countries. Policy Research working paper no. WPS 4639. The World Bank. http://econ.worldbank.org/external/default/main?pagePK=64165259&theSitePK=469372&piPK=64165421&menuPK=64166093&entityID=000158349_20080603084938. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Loureiro, M.L., J.B. Loomis, and M.X. Vazquez. 2009. Economic valuation of environmental damages due to the Prestige oil spill in Spain. Environmental and Resource Economics 44: 537–553.Google Scholar
- McConnell, K.E., I.E. Strand, and S. Valdes. 1998. Testing temporal reliability and carry-over effect: the role of correlated responses in test-retest reliability studies. Environmental and Resource Economics 12: 357–374.Google Scholar
- Molowny-Horas, R., J.M. Espelta, P. Riera, and D.A. Borrego. 2008. Bages-Bergiedá (BABE) Case Study Report (Ecological and Economic Assessments). http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D12CaseStudies/D12_REMEDE_BABE_Oct%2008.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 1995. Habitat equivalency analysis: An overview. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 1999. Discounting and the treatment of uncertainty in natural resource damage assessment. Damage Assessment and Restoration Program. Technical paper 99-1. Silver Spring, Maryland.Google Scholar
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 2000. Habitat equivalency analysis: An overview. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Oppermann, K. 2011. Response to the EB call for public inputs at its 58th meeting regarding the draft revised “Guidelines on the assessment of investment analysis”. Carbon Finance Unit, The World Bank. http://cdm.unfccc.int/public_inputs/2010/guid_inv/cfi/7E0AJBWKV7B8ZWGXZ4VQ1E3S2IJTGD. Accessed 27 May 2012.
- Rambaud, S.C., and M.J.M. Torrecillas. 2006. Social discount rate: A revision. Anales de Estudios Economicos y Empresariales XVI: 75–98.Google Scholar
- Ramsey, F. 1928. A mathematical theory of saving. Economic Journal 38: 543–559.Google Scholar
- Ray, G.L. 2008. Habitat equivalency analysis: A potential tool for estimating environmental benefits. Ecosystem Management and Restoration Research Program. ERDC TN-EMRRP-EI-02. http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/elpubs/pdf/ei02.pdf. Accessed 27 May 2012.
- Ray, G.L. 2009. Application of habitat equivalency analysis to USACE Projects. EMRRP Technical notes collection. ERDC TN-EMRRP-EI-04. Vicksburg, Mississippi: US Army Engineer Research and Development Center.Google Scholar
- Reira, P. 2007. Personal Communication, Resource Economist at Autonomous University of Barcelona, June 17. In Annex 5—discounting, annexes to the toolkit for performing resource equivalency analysis to assess and scale environmental damage in the European Union. 2008. http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D13MainToolkit_and_Annexes/D13_All%20Toolkit%20Annexes_July%202008.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Shaw, W.D., and R.T. Woodward. 2008. On why environmental and resource economists should care about non-expected utility models. Resource and Energy Economics 30(1/Jan): 66–89.Google Scholar
- Sterner, T., and U.M. Persson. 2008. An even sterner review: Introducing relative prices into the discounting debate. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 2(1/Winter): 61–76.Google Scholar
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (Naturvårdsverket). 2003. Konsekvensanalys steg för steg. In Annex 5—discounting, annexes to the toolkit for performing resource equivalency analysis to assess and scale environmental damage in the European Union. 2008 (In Swedish). http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D13MainToolkit_and_Annexes/D13_All%20Toolkit%20Annexes_July%202008.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Swedish Institute for Transport and Communication Analysis (SIKA). 2002. Övergripande Kalkylparametrar (Comprehensive guidance on calculation parameters). SIKA Rapport 2002:7, delrapport, December. In Annex 5—discounting, annexes to the toolkit for performing resource equivalency analysis to assess and scale environmental damage in the European Union. 2008. http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D13MainToolkit_and_Annexes/D13_All%20Toolkit%20Annexes_July%202008.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Tederko, Z., M. Kiejzik-Glowinska, and J. Lipton. 2008. Vistula River crossing by the Yamal-Europe gas pipeline. Case Study Report. http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D12CaseStudies/D12_REMEDE_Poland_Vistula_River_Oct%2008.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- Toolkit for performing resource equivalency analysis to assess and scale environmental damage in the European Union. 2008. http://www.envliability.eu/docs/D13MainToolkit_and_Annexes/REMEDE_D13_Toolkit_310708.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2012.
- The New York Times. 1994. Big oil spill off Puerto Rico fouls beach at height of tourist season. Published: January 8, 1994. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/08/us/big-oil-spill-off-puerto-rico-fouls-beach-at-height-of-tourist-season.html. Accessed 29 Aug 2012.
- The Telegraph. 1994. Beach cleanup begins on Puerto Rican oil spill. Published: January 10, 1994. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19940110&id=57RKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=l5QMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1650,1752955. Accessed 28 Aug 2012.
- The Times-Picayune. 2012. Dire consequences of coastal restoration is delayed: An editorial. New Orleans, USA. Published: May 31, 2012. http://blog.nola.com/opinions_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/05/dire_consequences_if_coastal_r.html. Accessed 27 June 2012.
- Woodward, R.T., and W.D. Shaw. 2008. Allocating resources in an uncertain world: Water management and endangered species. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 90(3/Aug): 593–605.Google Scholar