Freelance as a Creative Mode of Self-employment in a New Economy (a Literature Review)
- 198 Downloads
Self-employment, as an economic and labour phenomenon, contributes noticeably to the economy of many countries. This paper presents an analytical review of the literature of 1970–2017, on the subject of self-employment and freelance as a new form of self-employment, and reveals tendencies and perspectives for the development of self-employment in context of the processes of globalisation and the forming and formation of a new (creative, knowledge and innovation) economy or a creative creativity economy.
KeywordsSelf-employment Innovation Freelance Knowledge economy Creative economy Creativity economy Innovation economy
- Acs, Z., Audretsch, D. and Evans, D. (1994) Why does the self-employment rate vary across countries and over time?, CEPR Discussion Paper, Vol. 871, London.Google Scholar
- Blasche, G.W. E., Campbell, D. F. J. (2013) Cross-retirement (cross-employed cross-retired) and innovation, in: Elias G. Carayannis (Editor-in-Chief) / Igor N. Dubina, Norbert Seel, David F. J. Campbell, Dimitri Uzunidis (Associate Editors): Encyclopedia of creativity, invention, innovation and entrepreneurship, pp. 508-513.Google Scholar
- Campbell, D.F. J. (2013) Cross-employment, in: Elias G. Carayannis (Editor-in-Chief) / Igor N. Dubina, Norbert Seel, David F. J. Campbell, Dimitri Uzunidis (Associate Editors): Encyclopedia of creativity, invention, innovation and entrepreneurship, pp. 503-508.Google Scholar
- Dandekar, V. M., & Pethe, V. (1962). Employment and unemployment of adult rural population. Journal of the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Poona (India), 4(1), 81–90.Google Scholar
- Drobnič, S. (2014) “Self-employment”, Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research, pp. 5763–5764.Google Scholar
- Florida, R. (2002) The rise of the creative class. Basic Books, New York.Google Scholar
- Gandini, A. (2016) The rise of a freelance economy, The Reputation Economy, pp. 13-25 https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-56107-7_2.
- Giang, V. (2015) Five major ways freelancers will change the economy by 2040. Fast Company, August 24, 2015. https://www.fastcompany.com/3049857/5-major-ways-freelancers-will-change-the-economy-by-2040
- Gimpelson, V. and Kapeliushnikov, R. (Eds) (2014) In the shadow of regulation: informality in the Russian labour market. Moscow: HSE Publishing House. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Gottschall, K., Kroos, D. (2007) Self-employment in comparative perspective: general trends and the case of new media, Gendering the Knowledge Economy, pp. 163-187 doi https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-230-62487-0_6.
- Hanson, C.G. (1991). Deregulating the labour market, the rise of self-employment and the individual contract of employment, Taming the Trade Unions, pp. 59-68 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-349-21319-1_7.
- Lukaczer, M. (1965). Farmer participation in the social security program. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 47(3), 813–823.Google Scholar
- Madon, S. (2009) MIS for rural self-employment programmes in Gujarat, e-Governance for Development/ Part of the series Technology, Work and Globalization, pp. 104-120 https://doi.org/10.1057/9780230250499_7.
- Maloney, W. F. (2003) “Informal self-employment: poverty trap or decent alternative?”, Pathways Out of Poverty, pp. 65–82.Google Scholar
- Occupational Employment Statistics (2017). Dictionary of occupations, U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. URL: http://www.bls.gov.
- Osnowitz, D. (2007). Individual needs versus collective interests: network dynamics in the freelance editorial association Qualitative Sociology, 30(4), 459–479. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11133-007-9070-0.
- Parker, S.C. (1996) A time series model of self-employment under uncertainty, Economica. New Series, 63(251), 459–475.Google Scholar
- Payoneer (2015) “The study of the income of freelancers”, Web-payment.ru — the highly specialized site about payment services, start-ups and e-commerce/ http://web-payment.ru/article/79/issledovanie-dohoda-frilanserov/ or https://www.payoneer.com/Downloads/freelancer_report_RU_2015.pdf (in Russian).
- Petrakis, P.E. (2014) The effects of cultural background and knowledge creation on self-employment and entry density rates, Culture, Growth and Economic Policy, pp. 195-203 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-41440-4_15.
- Pfeiffer, F., Pohlmeier, W. (1994) Income, uncertainty and the probability of self-employment, Output and Employment Fluctuations/Part of the series Studies in Empirical Economics, pp. 23-39 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-57989-9_4.
- Pink, D.H. (2001) “Free agent nation: the future of working for yourself”, Published by Warner Books.Google Scholar
- Prero, A.J.(1976) “Self-employment income at low earnings levels”, Social Security Bulletin, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 36–40.Google Scholar
- Price, S. (1960). Self-employment…does it worth? Hospitals, 34, 51–52.Google Scholar
- Robson, M. (2007). Explaining cross-national variations in entrepreneurship: the role of social protection and political culture. Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal, 28(4), 863–892.Google Scholar
- Serbinovskiy, B. Y., Mukuchyan, R. R., & Kalmyckova, N. G. (2012). Innovative self-employment and its functions in the labor market and in modernizing economy of Russia. Part 1. Science journal of KubSAU, 82(08), 945–964 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Shevchuk, A., Strebkov, D. (2016) Heterogeneous self-employment and work values: the evidence from online freelance marketplaces, Contemporary Entrepreneurship, pp. 141-158 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-28134-6_9.
- Storey, D. J., Johnson, S. (1987) Small firms and self-employment in the OECD countries, Job Generation and Labour Market Change, pp. 8-38 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-349-18850-5_2.
- Strebkov, D.O., Shevchuk, A.V. and Spirina, M.O. (2015) Development of the Russian-language market of remote work, 2009-2014 (based on the results of the census of freelancers), the publishing house of the Higher School of Economics, Moscow, no. 16 (in Russian) ISBN 978-5-7598-1336-1.Google Scholar
- Strebkov, D. O., Shevchuk, A. V., & Spirina, M. O. (2016). Self-employment in the remote work-market: diffusion of innovative labor practice. Monitoring of public opinion: economic and social changes, 6(136), 89–106 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Uppal, S. (2015) Self-employment among Canadian seniors: trends and financial well-being, Entrepreneurship, Self-Employment and Retirement, pp. 160-186 https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137398390_8.
- Vijverberg, W.P.M. (1999) The impact of schooling and cognitive skills on income from non-farm self-employment, The Economics of School Quality Investments in Developing Countries/Part of the series Studies on the African Economies, pp. 206-252 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-349-15032-8_6.
- Wierzbicki, A.P. (2016) A vision of the end of work and the emergence of precariat, The Future of Work in Information Society/Part of the series Springer Briefs in Economics, pp. 37-45 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-33909-2_5//PrintISBN978-3-319-33908-5.
- Wit, G. (1993). Determinants of self-employment. Studies in Contemporary Economics. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-50300-9.
- Zhuravlyov, V., Matrosov, A., & Rutko, D. (2012). Behavior pattern simulation of freelance marketplace. Trends in Practical Applications of Agents and Multiagent Systems/ Part of the series Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, 157, 157–164. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-28795-4_19.CrossRefGoogle Scholar