Excellent Performances of Modified RuOs Bimetallic Materials as Anode Catalysts for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells
- 141 Downloads
Multicomponent catalysts such as RuOs/C binary electrocatalysts and Pt-modified RuOs/C (Pt-RuOs/C) ternary electrocatalysts were prepared using the sodium borohydride reduction method for use as anode materials in proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs). The electrocatalyst particles, of size 3–4 nm, were uniformly dispersed on carbon supports and showed a similar performance to commercial Pt/C in single cell tests. In this study, we demonstrate the use of multicomponent materials with no Pt or a very low level of Pt as potential anode catalysts in an actual PEMFC device. The polarization test results showed that, when used in membrane-electrode assemblies (MEAs) within a PEMFC, the RuOs/C binary electrocatalysts exhibited a significantly enhanced electrochemical performance for hydrogen oxidation. In addition, Pt-RuOs/C revealed a similar performance to that of commercial Pt/C; the new electrocatalyst, in particular, showed excellent Pt mass activity. These results indicate that the RuOs/C catalyst is potentially an alternative anode electrocatalyst for PEMFCs.
KeywordsRuOs electrocatalyst Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell Hydrogen oxidation reaction Membrane electrode assembly
This work was supported by the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) in Korea (IBS-R006-D1). Y.-H. C. acknowledges financial support from the Basic Science Research Program (2016R1D1A3B03934752) through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), which is funded by the Ministry of Education. This study was also supported by 2015 Research Grant from Kangwon National University.
- 1.W. Vielstich, A. Lamm, H.A. Gasteiger, Handbook of Fuel Cells Fundamentals Technology and Applications, vol 1 (Wiley, Chichester, 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Larminie J, Dicks AL. Fuel Cell Systems Explained. 2nd Edn. (Wiley, 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Gasteiger HA, Panels JE, Yan SG, J Power Sources. 127162 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.K.C. Neyerlin, W. Gu, J. Jorne, H.A. Gasteiger, J. Electrochem. Soc. B631, 154 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.O.-H. Kim, Y.-H. Cho, H.-Y. SH Kang, M. Park, J.W. Kim, D.Y. Lim, M.J. Chung, H. Lee, Y.-E. Choe, Sung, Nat. Commun. 4, 2473 (2013)Google Scholar
- 20.Martin Silberberg, Principles of General Chemistry, 2nd Edn (McGraw-Hill Science 2009)Google Scholar
- 24.fN.R. Jana, L. Gearheart, C.J. Murphy, J. Phys. Chem. B 105, 4065 (2001)Google Scholar
- 28.Jiujun Zhang, PEM Fuel Cell Electrocatalysts and Catalyst Layers (Springer, 2008)Google Scholar
- 31.Harry E. Hoster, MRS Proc. 1388 (2012)Google Scholar