Characterization of Vacuum Plasma Sprayed Reinforced Hydroxyapatite Coatings on Ti–6Al–4V alloy
- 87 Downloads
Two reinforced hydroxyapatite (HA) coatings with an intermediate layer of zirconia were deposited on Ti–6Al–4V by vacuum plasma spray (VPS) technique. In first coating, HA was reinforced with 10 wt % Al2O3 whereas in second coating, HA was reinforced with 10 wt % ZrO2. The objective of this study was to investigate the microstructure, phase formation and mechanical properties like hardness and bond strength of as-sprayed coatings and the coatings after post coating heat treatment at 700 °C for 1 h. The characterization of the coatings was performed by using SEM/EDAX, XRD, porosity, crystallinity and roughness measurement. The coatings were also evaluated for mechanical properties like hardness and tensile bond strength. It was observed that after post coating heat treatment, crystallinity increased and porosity decreased which indicated recrystallization of amorphous phases of as-sprayed coatings. Heat treatment resulted into improvement in cross-sectional hardness, however sharp decrease in bond strength was observed.
KeywordsVacuum plasma spray Characterization Hydroxyapatite Bond coat Reinforcement Mechanical properties
This work has been supported by IKG Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, India. The authors would like to express their sincere gratitude to IKG Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, India.
- 2.Mudali U K, Sridhar T M, and Raj B, Sadhana, 28 (2003), Parts 3 & 4, 601.Google Scholar
- 5.Wenxiu Q, Khor K A, Xu J L, and Yu L G, Eur Ceram Soc 28 (2008) 3083.Google Scholar
- 7.Kim H-W, Georgiou G, Knowles J C, Koh Y-H, and Kim H-E, Biomaterials 25 (2004) 4203.Google Scholar
- 29.Brown S R, Turner I G, and Reiter H, J Mater Sci Mater Med 5 (1994) 756.Google Scholar
- 32.Chen C-C, and Ding S-J, Mater Trans Jpn Inst Metals 47 (2006) 935.Google Scholar
- 33.Brossa F, Cigada A, Chiesa R, Paracchini L, Consonni C, J Mater Sci Mater Med 5 (1994) 855.Google Scholar