Bite Force as a Parameter for Comparison Between Three-Dimensional and Standard Titanium Miniplates for the Management of Anterior Mandibular Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Double-Blinded Clinical Trial
- 11 Downloads
Background and Objectives
To compare the efficacy of three-dimensional (3D) miniplates with standard miniplates in the osteosynthesis of anterior mandibular fractures on the basis of bite force recordings and other clinical parameters.
A prospective randomized double-blinded clinical trial was carried out for the treatment of anterior mandibular fractures. In total, 20 patients were randomly divided into two groups of 2-mm 3D and standard titanium miniplates. The assessment of patients was done at weekly intervals for 6 weeks using bite force recordings and other clinical parameters.
A statistically significant difference was found in the duration of surgery which was less in group A as compared to group B (p = 0.03). No significant difference was found in other clinical parameters.
Interpretation and Conclusion
Relatively lesser operating time.
Three-dimensional stability of the fracture site and simultaneous stabilization at superior and inferior borders in the fixation of mandibular fractures.
Keywords3D plate system Mandibular fracture Miniplate osteosynthesis Bites force
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Fonseca RJ (2005) Oral and maxillofacial trauma, vol 1, 3rd edn. W B Saunders Company, Philadelphia, pp 291–293Google Scholar
- 10.Farmand M (1993) The 3D plating system in maxillofacial surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 51(3):166–167Google Scholar
- 13.Khalifa ME, El-Hawary HE, Hussein MM (2012) Titanium three dimensional miniplate versus conventional titanium miniplate in fixation of anterior mandibular fractures. Life Sci J 9(2):1006Google Scholar
- 14.Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Definition for surgical site infection, Atlanta, GA (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Jimson S, Sankar A, Prasad R (2009) Comparative study of stainless steel miniplates, three dimensional plate and titanium three dimensional plate for fixation of mandibular fractures. Int J Maxillofac Surg 03:380Google Scholar
- 16.Vijay E, Balakrishnan R (2011) Three dimensional miniplate fixation in mandibular fractures. Indian J Multidiscip Dent 1(2):1Google Scholar