Improved Automated System for AC Voltage Calibrations Using Extending Range Resistors
- 121 Downloads
Some improvements are presented in this paper to the previously introduced automated multi-range multipliers system. These multipliers; range resistors are selected automatically by using electronic relays controlled by a micro-controller that connects the suitable multiplier to the thermal voltage converter to calibrate the required ac voltage. The modifications done on the old system are mainly in used resistors and connectors. The ac–dc transfer differences for the improved and the old multipliers systems combined with the same thermal converter are determined automatically against another standard thermal voltage converter. The obtained ac–dc differences results and their repeatability; Type A for both systems are compared to evaluate the performance of the new one. The new system introduces a better performance, smaller ac–dc differences and Type A, especially in the high voltage and frequency ranges.
KeywordsAC voltage measurement Thermal voltage converter Multipliers AC–DC transfer difference Uncertainty
- F.L. Katzmann, A thermoresistive AC-DC transfer element. IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement. IM-35 (4) (1986), 581-584.Google Scholar
- P.S. Filipski and M.Boecker, AC-DC current transfer standards and calibrations at NRC. Simposio de Metrologia conference (2006).Google Scholar
- Rasha S. M. Ali, New internal multi-range resistors for ac voltage calibration by using TVC. Measurement Science and Technology Journal, 26 (10) (2015).Google Scholar
- F.L. Katzmann, Recent improvements to an automated precision wide-band AC-DC transfer standard. IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, IM-36 (2) (1987), 312–319.Google Scholar
- Rasha S. M. Ali and M. Helmy A. Raouf, Establishment of automated multi-range multipliers combined with TVC. Journal of Measurement Science and Instrumentation, 2 (3) (2011), 297-299.Google Scholar
- Rasha S. M. Ali, Design and implementation of precise thermal converters for the highly accurate AC voltage applications. Ph. D. Thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University (2009).Google Scholar
- Caddock Type MS Power Film Resistors. http://www.caddock.com/Online_catalog/Mrktg_Lit/TypeMS.pdf
- B. Pal, S. Ahmad and A.K. Govil, Automation and evaluation of two different techniques to calibrate precision calibrators for low frequency voltage using thermal devices. MAPAN-Journal of Metrology Society of India (2013). doi: 10.1007/s12647-012-0038-5.
- J 100:2008, Evaluation of measurement data—guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement, first ed. (2008). Previously BIPM, IEC, IFCC, ISO, IUPAC, IUPAP, OIML, Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement, first ed. (1993). http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf.