Dependence of Coherence Scales of Ionospheric Scintillation Patterns on Magnetic Activity
- 111 Downloads
The amplitude scintillation data, recorded at 251 MHz by two spaced receivers at low latitude station Kolhapur [16.42oN, 74.2oE] are used. We have considered data of magnetically disturbed days (Ap > 20) to investigate the effect of magnetic activity on the ionospheric irregularities by observing the coherence scales of the scintillation pattern produced by the irregularities. The coherence scales are calculated using the method introduced by Bhattacharyya et al. (2003). Coherence scale lengths on magnetically disturbed days are higher than that of on quiet days. During magnetically disturbed period the coherence scales in the post midnight period are greater than that of in the pre midnight period. This suggests that magnetospheric electric field generated in storm time causes increase in coherence scales but shows large increase after midnight.
KeywordsIonospheric irregularity Magnetic activity Coherence scale length Amplitude scintillation
We thank the Director, Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), Navi Mumbai, for prividing the amplitude scintillation data under scientific collaboration programme (MoU) between IIG and Shivaji University, Kolhapur. Thanks are also due to Dr. S. Sripathi (IIG) for providing data of ionosonde. Authors wish to thank the anonymous reviewers for their suggestions, which has helped to improve the paper.
- M. Abdullah, J.S. Mandeep, S. Zainuddin, S. Abdullah and A.F.M. Zain, Variations of foF2 Prior to Earthquakes, MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc. India, 27(1), (2011), 13–22.Google Scholar
- Su. Basu, S. Basu, C.E. Valladares, H.C. Yeh, S.Y. Su, E. MacKenzie, P.J. Sultan, J. Aarons, F. J. Rich, P. Doherty, K.M. Groves and T.W. Bullett, Ionospheric Effects of Major Magnetic Storms During the International Space Weather Period of September and October 1999: GPS Observations, VHF/UHF Scintillations, and In Situ Density Structures at Middle and Equatorial Latitudes, J. Geophys. Res., 106 (2001) 389–413.Google Scholar
- A. Bhattacharyya, S. Basu and K.M. Groves, C.E. Valladares and R. Sheehan, Effect of Magnetic Activity on the Dynamics of Equatorial F Region Irregularities, J. Geophys. Res., 107 (2002) 1489–1495.Google Scholar
- P.T. Patil1, R.N. Ghodpage, A. Taori, R.P. Patil, S. Gurubaran, S. Nikte, D.P. Nade, A.K. Sharma, S. Banola,V. LakshmiNarayanan and D. Siingh, The Study of Equatorial Plasma Bubble During January to April 2012 Over Kolhapur (India), Ann. Geophys., 59(2), (2016), 1–20.Google Scholar
- A.W. Wernik, L. Alfonsi and M. Materassi, Ionospheric Irregularities, Scintillation and Its Effect on Systems, Acta Geophys. Pol., 52 (2004) 237–249.Google Scholar
- B.H. Briggs, The Analysis of Spaced Sensor Records by Correlation Techniques, Middle Atmosphere Program: Handbook for MAP, Ground-Based Techniques, (ed. Vincent, R. A.), 13 (1984) 166–186.Google Scholar