The Battle Continues: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of the Experiences of Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB) Patients
- 70 Downloads
The World Health Organization cites the Philippines as one of the countries worldwide that continues to have a high burden of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB), with high rates of infected Filipinos. This study investigated the lived experiences of individuals with MDR-TB. Using a qualitative method, the study documented the experiences and meaning-making of eight Filipino adults aged 26–50 who were between the third and ninth month of directly observed treatment. Data from semi-structured interviews were analyzed using interpretative phenomenological analysis that yielded five superordinate themes: (1) the recurrence of tuberculosis (TB) symptoms and the trauma of being diagnosed with MDR-TB; (2) experiences of confronting the reality of being infected with MDR-TB; (3) barriers to long-term treatment adherence; (4) significance of social support; and (5) coping with MDR-TB. These themes describe the subjective experiences of patients battling an infectious disease who were undergoing long-term outpatient treatment. The significance and implications of the findings toward a more comprehensive program of interventions for MDR-TB patients are discussed.
KeywordsMDR-TB Infectious disease Phenomenology of MDR-TB patients IPA Coping with MDR-TB Tuberculosis MDR-TB treatment
- Baral, S., Aryal, Y., Bhatrrai, R., King, R., & Newell, J. N. (2014). The importance of providing counselling and financial support to patients receiving treatment for multi-drug resistant TB: Mixed method qualitative and pilot intervention studies. BMC Public Health, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-46.
- De Torres, S. (2002). Understanding persons of Philippine origin: A primer for rehabilitation service providers. Buffalo, NY: Center for International Rehabilitation Research Information and Exchange (CIRRIE).Google Scholar
- Department of Health. (2013). Leading causes of mortality. http://www.doh.gov.ph/Statistics/Leading-Causes-of-Mortality. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- Department of Health. (2014). Research monograph of the updated 2010–2016 Philippine plan of action to control tuberculosis. http://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/files/publications/researchmonograph.pdf. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- Dias, A., Falcão de Oliveira, D., Turato, E., & Moralez de Figueiredo, R. (2013). Life experiences of patients who have completed tuberculosis treatment: A qualitative investigation in southeast Brazil. BMC Public Health, 13, 595–603. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-595.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Framework of the PhilSTEP and Targets. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ntp.doh.gov.ph/downloads/ntp_data/ntp_vmg_and_org_and_tb_burden.pdf. Retrieved 6 Nov 2017.
- Grimaldo, E., Tupasi, T., Rivera, A., Quelapio, M., Cardaño, R., Derilo, J., et al. (2001). Increased resistance to ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from patients seen at a tertiary hospital in the Philippines. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 5(6), 546–550.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Landeck, J., & Peck, E. (2011). MDR-TB quality improvement survey of patients and health providers: Tajikistan pilots. USAID Quality Health Care Project (QHCP) in the Central Asian Republics. http://www.qhcp.net/wpcontent/uploads/2011/04/Quality-Health-Care-Project-MDR-TB-Quality-ImprovementSurvey-of-Patients-and-Health-Providers-June-2011.pdf.
- Mendoza, M., Gonzaga, A., Roa, C., Velmonte, M., Jorge, M., Montoya, J., et al. (1997). Nature of drug resistance and predictors of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among patients seen at the Philippine General Hospital, Manila, Philippines. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 1(1), 59–63.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Morris, M. D., Quezada, L., Bhat, P., Moser, K., Smith, J., Perez, H., et al. (2013). Social, economic, and psychological impacts of MDR-TB treatment in Tijuana, Mexico: A patient’s perspective. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 17(7), 954–960.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ong, W. T. (2012). Mind your body: Tuberculosis in the Philippines: 10 things you should know. The Philippine Star. http://www.philstar.com/health-and-family/763897/tuberculosis-philippines-10-things-you-should-know. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- Reid, K., Flowers, P., & Larkin, M. (2005). Interpretative phenomenological analysis: An overview and methodological review. The Psychologist, 18(1), 20–23.Google Scholar
- Root, M. P. P. (2005). Filipino families. In M. Mc Goldrick, J. Giordano, & N. Garcia-Preto (Eds.), Ethnicity and family therapy (3rd ed., pp. 319–331). New York, NY: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, J., & Osborn, M. (2008). Interpretative phenomenological analysis. In J. A. Smith (Ed.), Qualitative psychology: A practical guide to research methods (2nd ed., pp. 53–80). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sukumani, J. T., Lebese, R. T., Khoza, L. B., & Risenga, P. R. (2012). Experiences of family members caring for tuberculosis patients at home at Vhembe district of the Limpopo Province. Curationis, 35(1).Google Scholar
- Takumi, R. (2017). DOH seeks to eliminate TB by 2022. GMA News Online. Retrieved from http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/604586/lifestyle/doh-seeks-to-eliminate-tb-by-2022. Retrieved 12 Nov 2017.
- Ukanwa, D., & Madiba, S. (2013). Being diagnosed with multi-drug resistant tuberculosis: Experiences of patients from rural Kwazulu Natal, South Africa. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, 4(11), 1831–1834.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2010). Multidrug and extensively drug resistant TB (M/XDR-TB): 2010 report on surveillance and response. WHO/HTM/TB/2010.3. Geneva: WHO. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44286/1/9789241599191_eng.pdf.
- World Health Organization. (2011a). Tuberculosis: /MDR-TB & XDR-TB 2011 progress report. http://www.who.int/tb/challenges/mdr/factsheet_mdr_progress_march2011.pdf. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- World Health Organization. (2011b). 2011/ 2012 tuberculosis global facts. http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2011/factsheet_tb_2011.pdf. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- World Health Organization. (2012). WHO global tuberculosis report 2012. http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/gtbr12_main.pdf. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- World Health Organization. (2013a). Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) 2013 update. http://www.who.int/tb/challenges/mdr/MDR_TB_FactSheet.pdf. Retrieved June 01, 2013.
- World Health Organization. (2013b). Tuberculosis. http://www.who.int/features/tuberculosis/en/. Retrieved June 01, 2013.