RETRACTED ARTICLE: Therapeutic management of trypanosomosis with ophthalmic involvement in a dog
The present report communicates a case of canine trypanosomosis with ophthalmic involvement, its diagnosis, hemato-biochemistry and therapeutic management in a 2 year old dog. The dog had history of bilateral corneal opacity and impaired vision since last 4 weeks. On the basis of history and clinical signs, a presumptive diagnosis of canine trypanosomosis was made followed by confirmation with Giemsa stained buffy coat smear examination. Therapeutic regimen was comprised of Diminazine aceturate @ 3.5 mg/kg deep IM for two occasions 24 h apart along with parenteral fluids, hematinics, NSAID and multivitamins which yielded favourable response by third day post-therapy. Haemato-biochemical parameters took nearly 14 days of time to return to near normal levels. Improvement with respect to corneal opacity took 6 weeks of time and the animal was followed up to 3 months without any recurrence.
KeywordsCorneal opacity Diminazine aceturate Phenazone NSAID Trypanosomosis
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the contributing authors hereby certify that we have no commercial associations that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article.
All procedures (collection of blood from the animal and parenteral medicaments given) were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institution.
- Gunaseelan L, Senthil Kumar K, Selvaraj P, Kathiresan D (2009) Haemato biochemical changes in a case of canine trypanosomiasis. Tamilnadu J Vet Anim Sci 5(3):122–123Google Scholar
- Howes H, Da Silva AS, Athayde CL, Costa MM, Corrêa MMB, Tavares KCS, Miletti LC, Lopes STA, Amaral AS, Schmidt C (2011) A new therapeutic protocol for dogs infected with Trypanosoma evansi. Acta Sci Vet 39(3):988–991Google Scholar
- Nongo NN, Tion MT, Apaa TT, Ogunro BN (2015) A case of canine trypanosomosis with epistaxis in a two-year old alsatian dog. J Agric Vet Sci 8(11):68–72Google Scholar
- Pathak KML, Singh N (2005) Animal trypanosomosis. Intas Polivet 6:194–199Google Scholar
- Ravindran R, Rao JR, Mishra AK, Pathak KML, Babu N, Satheesh CC, Rahul S (2008) Trypanosoma evansi in camels, donkeys and dogs in India: comparison of PCR and light microscopy for detection—short communication. Vet Arh 78(1):89–94Google Scholar