A Fast Separation Method for Isotope Analysis Based on Compressed Nitrogen Gas and Ion-Exchange Chromatography Technique—A Case Study of Sr-Nd Isotope Measurement
- 12 Downloads
High-purity N2 was used to increase the mobile phase flow rate during ion purification of ion-exchange resin. This was performed to improve the efficiency of isotope separation and purification, and to meet the efficiency requirements of rapid multiple-collector-inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC-ICPMS) analysis. For Cu isotope separation, our results indicated that at a gas flow rate >60 mL/min, the separation chromatographic peaks broadened and the recovery rate decreased to <99.2%. On the other hand, no significant change in the Cu peaks was observed at a gas flow rate of 20 mL/min and the recovery rate was determined to be >99.9%. The Cu isotope ratio, measured by the standard-sample bracketing method, agreed with reference data within a ±2 SD error range. The separation time was reduced from the traditional 10 h (without N2) to 4 h (with N2), indicating that the efficiency was more than doubled. Moreover, Sr and Nd isotope separation in AGV-2 (US Geological Survey andesite standard sample) accelerated with a 20 mL/min gas flow, demonstrating that with the passage of N2, the purified liquid comprised Rb/Sr and Sm/Nd ratios of <0.000 049 and <0.000 001 5, respectively. This indicated an effective separation of Rb from Sr and Sm from Nd. MC-ICPMS could therefore be applied to accurately determine Sr and Nd isotope ratios. The results afforded were consistent with the reference data within a ±2 SD error range and the total separation time was shortened from 2 d to <10 h.
Key wordsfast isotope purification MC-ICPMS N2 gas flow Cu isotope Sr-Nd isotopes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was co-supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 41427804, 41421002, 41373004), Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University of China (No. IRT1281), and the MOST Research Foundation from the State Key Laboratory of Continental Dynamics. The final publication is available at Springer via https://doi.org/10.1007/s12583-017-0944-0.
- Bast, R., Scherer, E. E., Sprung, P., et al., 2015. A Rapid and Efficient Ion-Exchange Chromatography for Lu-Hf, Sm-Nd, and Rb-Sr Geochronology and the Routine Isotope Analysis of Sub-Ng Amounts of Hf by MC-ICP-MS. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 30(11): 2323–2333. https://doi.org/10.13039/501100001659CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bizzarro, M., Baker, J. A., Ulfbeck, D., 2003. A New Digestion and Chemical Separation Technique for Rapid and Highly Reproducible Determination of Lu/Hf and Hf Isotope Ratios in Geological Materials by MC-ICP-MS. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research, 27(2): 133–145. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-908x.2003.tb00641.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Field, M. P., Romaniello, S. J., Gordon, G. W., et al., 2012. Automated Sample Preparation for Radiogenic and Non-Traditional Metal Isotope Analysis by MC-ICP-MS. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, December, 2012, San Francisco. Abstract #V23B-2823Google Scholar
- Halliday, A. N., Lee, D. C., Christensen, J. N., et al., 1995. Recent Developments in Inductively Coupled Plasma Magnetic Sector Multiple Collector Mass Spectrometry. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry and Ion Processes, 146/147: 21–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1176(95)04200-5CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kleinhanns, I. C., Kreissig, K., Kamber, B. S., et al., 2002. Combined Chemical Separation of Lu, Hf, Sm, Nd, and REEs from a Single Rock Digest: Precise and Accurate Isotope Determinations of Lu-Hf and Sm-Nd Using Multicollector-ICPMS. Analytical Chemistry, 74(1): 67–73. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac010705zCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Teng, F.-Z., Rudnick, R. L., McDonough, W. F., et al., 2009. Lithium Isotopic Systematics of A-Type Granites and Their Mafic Enclaves: Further Constraints on the Li Isotopic Composition of the Continental Crust. Chemical Geology, 262(3/4): 370–379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2009.02.009CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang, Y.-H., Zhang, H.-F., Chu, Z.-Y., et al., 2010. Combined Chemical Separation of Lu, Hf, Rb, Sr, Sm and Nd from a Single Rock Digest and Precise and Accurate Isotope Determinations of Lu-Hf, Rb-Sr and Sm-Nd Isotope Systems Using Multi-Collector ICP-MS and TIMS. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 290(2/3): 120–126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijms.2009.12.011CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng, X.-Y., Beard, B. L., Lee, S., et al., 2017. Contrasting Particle Size Distributions and Fe Isotope Fractionations during Nanosecond and Femtosecond Laser Ablation of Fe Minerals: Implications for LA-MC-ICP-MS Analysis of Stable Isotopes. Chemical Geology, 450: 235–247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2016.12.038CrossRefGoogle Scholar