The Parkam exploration district, Kerman, Iran: Geology, alterations, and delineation of Cu- and Mo-mineralized zones using U-spatial statistic with associated software development
The Parkam exploration district represents an area of approximately 4 km2 located 50 km north of Shahr-E-Babak (Kerman Province, Iran), and has several traces of old copper mining and smelting activities. This area lies in the Kerman Copper Belt which is part of the larger Sahand-Bazman igneous and metallogenic zone hosting numerous known porphyry copper deposits and systems. The geology of the Parkam exploration district demonstrates that the area contains a diorite-type porphyry copper system hosted by volcanic and pyroclastic rocks of predominantly andesitic composition. Based on field and microscopic investigation, it was determined that the dominant types of alteration were propylitic, phyllic, argillic, and potassic, and the alteration map of the study area was produced. Expect for the propylitic alteration which was observed mainly in the host rocks, the other types of alteration are associated mainly with the dioritic subvolcanic body. Accompanied by subordinate amounts of primary sulfides, fracture-filling malachite is widespread in the potassic and phyllic zones and comprises the dominant style of mineralization at the surface of the porphyry system. Lithogeochemical data resulting from 377 samples were analyzed, and the results of background and anomaly separation by means of conventional and the U-spatial statistic method were compared. The Cu and Mo mineralizations were subsequently delineated using the U-spatial statistic. The delineated Cu mineralization is closely associated with the defined zone of potassic alteration, which is also consistent with the field and microscopic observation of the Cu mineralization in this alteration zone. The Mo mineralization delineated by the U-statistic method is mostly associated with the phyllic alteration and is spatially conformable with the zone defined for it. The source code for a software program, which was developed in the MATLAB programming language in order to perform the calculations of the U-spatial statistic method, is additionally provided. This software is compatible with geochemical variates other than Cu and Mo and can be used in similar exploration projects.
Key WordsParkam U-Statistic anomaly separation Cu Mo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This revised version has greatly benefited from the insightful, constructive comments the associate editor and another anonymous reviewer kindly provided. The final publication is available at Springer via http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12583-017-0722-z.
- Adamia, S. H., Lordkiparidze, M., Zakariadze, G., 1980. The Caucasus. In: Adamia, S. H. ed.. The Alpine Middle East between the Aegean and the Oman Traverses. Colloque C5.26 IGC. Memoire BRGM. 131–132Google Scholar
- Etminan, H., 1978. Fluid Inclusion Studies of the Porphyry Copper Ore Bodies at Sar-Cheshmeh, Darreh Zar, and Mieduk (Kerman Region, Southeastern Iran) and Porphyry Copper Discoveries at Miduk, Gozan, and Kighal, Azarbaijan Region (Northwestern Iran): International Association of the Genesis of Ore Deposits. 5th Symposium. Snowbird. Utah. 88Google Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., Hezarkhani, A., 2012a. Determination of the Initial Statistical Specifications of Copper and Molybdenum Elements in Porphyry Copper Ore Deposits in Kerman. International Mining Congress & Expo. Iran 20: 779–782Google Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., Hezarkhani, A., 2012b. A Developed Software to Calculate the Additive Constant Number of Average in Three-Variable Normal Logarithm. Glob. J. Comp. Sci., 2(1): 1–6Google Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., Hezarkhani, A., Eshqi, H., 2012. Average and Variance Estimation Programming in Normal Logarithmic Distribution. Glob. J. Comp. Sci., 2(1): 7–13Google Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., 2013. Geochemical Studies of Porphyry Copper Ore Deposit of Parkam, Kerman. MS Thesis. Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Tehran.Google Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., Hezarkhani, A., Farahbakhsh, E., 2013a. An Investigation of Pb Geochemical Behavior Respect to Those of Fe and Zn Based on K-Means Clustering Method. J. Tethys., 1(4): 291–302. doi: 10.1007/s12517-013-1096-xGoogle Scholar
- Ghannadpour, S. S., Mokhtari, A. R., Hezarkhani, A., Fathianpour, N., 2013b. Modification of Sinclair’s Mixed Statistical Populations Algorithm Based on Probability Plots. J. A. Numer. Method. Min. Eng., 3(5): 28–37 (In Persian)Google Scholar
- Hassanzadeh, J., 1993. Metallogenic and Tectono-Magmatic Events in SE Sector of the Cenozoic Active Continental Margin of Central Iran (Shahr-Babak, Kerman province): [Dissertation]. University of California, Los Angeles, 201Google Scholar
- Hezarkhani, A., 2006a. Hydrothermal Evolutions at the Sar-Cheshmeh Porphyry Cu-Mo Deposit, Iran: Evidence from Fluid Inclusions. J. Asian. Earth. Sci., 28(4–6): 408–422. doi: 10.1016/j.jseaes.2005.11.003Google Scholar
- Hezarkhani, A., Ghannadpour, S. S., 2015. Exploration Information Analysis Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic) Press, Tehran. (In Persian)Google Scholar
- Jébrak, M., 2006. Economic Geology: Then and Now. Geo. Sci. Can., 33(2): 81–93Google Scholar
- Liu, Y., Cheng, Q., Xia, Q., Wang, X., 2013b. Application of Singularity Analysis for Mineral Potential Identification Using Geochemical Data —A Case Study: Nanling W-Sn-Mo Polymetallic Metallogenic Belt, South China. J. Geo. Chem. Exp., 134: 61–72. doi: 10.1016/j.gexplo.2013.08.006CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mohammadi, L. H., Taghipour, N., Iranmanesh, M. R., 2012. Dispersion Pattern of Cu, Mo and Pb, Zn and Fe in Sarah (Parkam) Porphyry Copper Deposit, Shahr–E Babak, Kerman Province, Iran. Iran. J. Geol 5(11): 17–28Google Scholar
- Peck, R., Devore, J. L., 2012. Statistics: The Exploration and Analysis of Data. Seventh ed. Brooks. 451Google Scholar
- Shahabpour, J., 1982. Aspects of Alteration and Mineralization at the Sar-Cheshmeh Copper-Molybdenum Deposit, Kerman, Iran. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis. Leeds University. 342Google Scholar
- Sinclair, A.J., 1989. Application of Probability Graphs in Mineral Exploration. The Association of Exploration Geochemists. 235Google Scholar
- Stöcklin, J., 1977. Structural Correlation of the Alpine Range between Iran and Central Asia. Memoire Hors-Serve No. 8 dela Societe Geologique de France., 8: 333–353. doi: 10.1016/0375-6742(77)90102-9Google Scholar
- Xu, L., Bi, X., Hu, R., Zhang, X., Su, W., Qu, W., Hu, Z., Tang, T., 2012. Relationships between Porphyry Cu-Mo Mineralization in the Jinshajiang-Red River Metallogenic Belt and Tectonic Activity: Constraints from Zircon U-Pb and Molybdenite Re-Os Geochronology. Ore. Geol. Rev., 48: 460–473. doi: 10.1016/j.oregeorev.2012.05.010CrossRefGoogle Scholar