Effect of water and ionic liquids on biomolecules
- 223 Downloads
The remarkable progress in the field of ionic liquids (ILs) in the last two decades has involved investigations on different aspects of ILs in various conditions. The nontoxic and biocompatible nature of ILs makes them a suitable substance for the storage and application of biomolecules. In this regard, the aqueous IL solutions have attracted a large number of studies to comprehend the role of water in modulating various properties of biomolecules. Here, we review some of the recent studies on aqueous ILs that concern the role of water in altering the behavior of ILs in general and in case of biomolecules solvated in ILs. The different structural and dynamic effects caused by water have been highlighted. We discuss the different modes of IL interaction that are responsible for stabilization and destabilization of proteins and enzymes followed by examples of water effect on this. The role of water in the case of nucleic acid storage in ILs, an area which has mostly been underrated, also has been emphasized. Our discussions highlight the fact that the effects of water on IL behavior are not general and are highly dependent on the nature of the IL under consideration. Overall, we aim to draw attention to the significance of water dynamics in the aqueous IL solutions, a better understanding of which can help in developing superior storage materials for application purposes.
KeywordsIL structure IL dynamics IL protein interactions IL DNA interaction
This work was funded by DST SERB (EMR/2016/001069).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Debasis Saha declares that he has no conflict of interest. Arnab Mukherjee declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Araque JC, Yadav SK, Shadeck M, Maroncelli M, Margulis CJ (2015) How is diffusion of neutral and charged tracers related to the structure and dynamics of a room-temperature ionic liquid? Large deviations from Stokes–Einstein behavior explained. J Phys Chem B 119:7015–7029. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.5b01093 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Byrne N, Wang L-M, Belieres J-P, Angell CA (2007) Reversible folding-unfolding, aggregation protection, and multi-year stabilization, in high concentration protein solutions, using ionic liquids. Chem Commun:2714–2716. https://doi.org/10.1039/B618943A
- Cull SG, Holbrey JD, Vargas-Mora V, Seddon KR, Lye GJ (2000) Room-temperature ionic liquids as replacements for organic solvents in multiphase bioprocess operations. Biotechnol Bioeng 69:227–233. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0290(20000720)69:2<227::AID-BIT12>3.0.CO;2-0 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dominguez de Marıá P (ed) (2012) Ionic liquids in biotransformations and organocatalysis: solvents and beyond. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Fujita K, MacFarlane DR, Forsyth M (2005) Protein solubilising and stabilising ionic liquids. Chem Commun:4804–4806. https://doi.org/10.1039/B508238B
- Hofmeister F (1888) Zur Lehre von der Wirkung der Salze. Arch Exp Pathol Pharmakol 24:247–260Google Scholar
- Kowsari MH, Alavi S, Ashrafizaadeh M, Najafi B (2008) Molecular dynamics simulation of imidazolium-based ionic liquids. I. Dynamics and diffusion coefficient. J Chem Phys 129:224508. doi: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3035978
- Machado MF, Queirós RP, Santos MD, Fidalgo LG, Delgadillo I, Saraiva JA (2014) Effect of ionic liquids alkyl chain length on horseradish peroxidase thermal inactivation kinetics and activity recovery after inactivation. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 30:487–494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-013-1466-2 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Portella G, Germann MW, Hud NV, Orozco M (2014) MD and NMR analyses of choline and TMA binding to duplex DNA: on the origins of aberrant sequence-dependent stability by alkyl cations in aqueous and water-free solvents. J Am Chem Soc 136:3075–3086. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja410698u PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sheldon R (2001) Catalytic reactions in ionic liquids. Chem Commun:2399–2407. https://doi.org/10.1039/B107270F
- Torriero AA (2015a) Electrochemistry in ionic liquids, vol 1: Fundamentals. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Torriero AA (2015b) Electrochemistry in ionic liquids, vol 2: Applications. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Wasserscheid P, Keim W (2000) Ionic liquids—new “solutions” for transition metal catalysis. Angew Chem Int Ed 39:3772–3789. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3773(20001103)39:21<3772::AID-ANIE3772>3.0.CO;2-5 Google Scholar
- Wilkes JS, Zaworotko MJ (1992) Air and water stable 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium based ionic liquids. J Chem Soc Chem Commun :965–967. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/C39920000965