Sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation for characterization of therapeutic antibodies
- 126 Downloads
Sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation (SV-AUC) coupled with direct computational fitting of the observed concentration profiles (sedimentating boundary) have been developed and widely used for the characterization of macromolecules and nanoparticles in solution. In particular, size distribution analysis by SV-AUC has become a reliable and essential approach for the characterization of biopharmaceuticals including therapeutic antibodies. In this review, we describe the importance and advantages of SV-AUC for studying biopharmaceuticals, with an emphasis on strategies for sample preparation, data acquisition, and data analysis. Recent discoveries enabled by AUC with a fluorescence detection system and potential future applications are also discussed.
KeywordsAnalytical ultracentrifugation Sedimentation velocity Biopharmaceuticals Protein Aggregates Immunogenicity
This work was partly supported by the MEXT/JSPS Grants in Aid for Scientific Research (15 K14457, 17H03975) and by grant-in-aid from the Research on Development of New Drugs of AMED.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Susumu Uchiyama declares that he has no conflicts of interest. Masanori Noda declares that he has no conflicts of interest. Elena Krayukhina declares that she has no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Abbas A, Lichtman AH, Pillai S (2017) Hypersensitivity disorders. In: Cellular and molecular immunology, 9th edn. Elsevier, pp 417–437Google Scholar
- Arakawa T, Philo JS, Ejima D, Tsumoto K, Arisaka F (2007) Aggregation analysis of therapeutic proteins, part 2. Analytical ultracentrifugation and dynamic light scattering. Bioproc Int 5:36–47Google Scholar
- Attri AK, Minton AP (2005) Composition gradient static light scattering: a new technique for rapid detection and quantitative characterization of reversible macromolecular hetero-associations in solution. Anal Biochem 346:132–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2005.08.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Berkowitz SA, Philo JS (2015) Characterizing biopharmaceuticals using analytical ultracentrifugation. In: Houde DJ, Berkowitz SA (eds). Biophysical characterization of proteins in developing biopharmaceuticals. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 211-260. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-444-59573-7.00009-9
- Carpenter JF, Randolph TW, Jiskoot W, Crommelin DJ, Middaugh CR, Winter G (2010) Potential inaccurate quantitation and sizing of protein aggregates by size exclusion chromatography: essential need to use orthogonal methods to assure the quality of therapeutic protein products. J Pharm Sci 99:2200–2208. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.21989 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Carpenter JF, Bain DL, Johnson GR (2016) Use of analytical ultracentrifugation as an orthogonal method for size exclusion chromatography: assuring quality for therapeutic protein products and meeting regulatory expectations. In: Uchiyama S, Arisaka F, Stafford W, Laue T (eds) Analytical ultracentrifugation. Springer, Tokyo, pp 389–395CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gabrielson JP, Arthur KK, Stoner MR, Winn BC, Kendrick BS, Razinkov V, Svitel J, Jiang Y, Voelker PJ, Fernandes CA, Ridgeway R (2010) Precision of protein aggregation measurements by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation in biopharmaceutical applications. Anal Biochem 396:231–241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2009.09.036 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ishii-Watabe A, Shibata H, Harazono A, Hyuga M, Kiyoshi , Saitoh S, Iwura T, Torisu T, Goda Y, Uchiyama S (2017) Recent topics of research in the characterization and quality control of biopharmaceuticals in Japan. J Pharmaceut Sci 106:3431–3437Google Scholar
- Kingsbury JS, Laue TM (2011) Fluorescence-detected sedimentation in dilute and highly concentrated solutions. Methods Enzymol 492:283–304. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-381268-1.00021-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krayukhina E, Uchiyama S, Nojima K, Okada Y, Hamaguchi I, Fukui K (2013) Aggregation analysis of pharmaceutical human immunoglobulin preparations using size-exclusion chromatography and analytical ultracentrifugation sedimentation velocity. J Biosci Bioeng 115:104–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiosc.2012.07.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krayukhina E, Noda M, Ishii K, Maruno T, Wakabayashi H, Tada M, Suzuki T, Ishii-Watabe A, Kato M, Uchiyama S (2017) Analytical ultracentrifugation with fluorescence detection system reveals differences in complex formation between recombinant human TNF and different biological TNF antagonists in various environments. MAbs 9:664–679. https://doi.org/10.1080/19420862.2017.1297909 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Berger AJ, Brown PH, Kumar J, Balbo A, May CA, Casillas E Jr, Laue TM, Patterson GH, Mayer ML, Schuck P (2012) Analysis of high-affinity assembly for AMPA receptor amino-terminal domains. J Gen Physiol 139:371–388. https://doi.org/10.1085/jgp.201210770 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Lomash S, Glasser C, Mayer ML, Schuck P (2013b) Analysis of high affinity self-association by fluorescence optical sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation of labeled proteins: opportunities and limitations. PLoS ONE 8:e83439. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083439 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Ma J, Ingaramo M, Andrade E, MacDonald J, Ramsay G, Piszczek G, Patterson GH, Schuck P (2014a) Accounting for photophysical processes and specific signal intensity changes in fluorescence-detected sedimentation velocity. Anal Chem 86:9286–9292. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac502478a CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Fu Y, Glasser C, Andrade Alba EJ, Mayer ML, Patterson G, Schuck P (2016) Monochromatic multicomponent fluorescence sedimentation velocity for the study of high-affinity protein interactions. Elife 5. doi: https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.17812