ADHD-juvenile bipolar disorder: mimics and chameleons!
- 82 Downloads
Both attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and juvenile bipolar mood disorder (BP) share many clinical symptoms in common. Differentiating between both conditions is crucial, both for course and prognosis and to inform functional and therapeutic outcomes which differ considerably. Early identification and hence appropriate management may lead to improved functioning, prevention of impending emergence of comorbidities (e.g. “behavioural bouquet” of ADHD), and attenuation of the untreated course of BP . If the emotional symptoms of BP are misattributed to demoralization associated with ADHD label, increased use of stimulants would expose patients to higher than needed dosing and can readily destabilize mood. On the other hand, if comorbidity with ADHD is not recognized in BP, inattention, distractibility, and talkativeness symptoms from ADHD could be inappropriately ascribed to residual symptoms of BP with subsequent unnecessary exposure to antipsychotics with...
There is no funding data for this article.
Compliance with ethical standards
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Conflict of interest
Author declares no conflict of interests in the past 36 months.
- 8.Perlis RH, Miyahara S, Marangell LB, Wisniewski SR, Ostacher M, DelBello MP, et al. Long-term implications of early onset in bipolar disorder: data from the first 1000 participants in the systematic treatment enhancement program for bipolar disorder (STEP-BD). Biol Psychiatry. 2004;55:875–81.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Geller B, Zimerman MA, Williams M, DelBello MP, Bolhofner K, Craney JL, et al. DSM-IV mania symptoms in a prepubertal and early adolescent bipolar disorder phenotype compared to attention-deficit hyperactive and normal controls. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2002;12:11–25.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Biederman J, Petty CR, Monuteaux MC, Evans M, Parcell T, Faraone SV, et al. The child behaviour checklist-pediatric bipolar disorder profile predicts a subsequent diagnosis of bipolar disorder and associated impairments in ADHD youth growing up: a longitudinal analysis. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:732–40.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Naguy A. Psychopharmacotherapy of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder complex presentations. Pediatr Neurol. In Press 2017.Google Scholar
- 20.Jaworowski S, Benarroch F, Gross-Tsur V. Concomitant use of atomoxetine and OROS-methylphenidate in a 10-year-old child suffering from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with comorbid bipolar disorder and Tourette syndrome. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2006;16:365–70.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar