Finding High-Quality Groundwater Resources to Reduce the Hydatidosis Incidence in the Shiqu County of Sichuan Province, China: Analysis, Assessment, and Management
- 68 Downloads
The prevalence of hydatidosis due to animal husbandry development poses significant health risks to people in the Shiqu County of Sichuan Province, China, where people depend mainly on surface water for domestic uses, which, however, is contaminated due to the development of the animal husbandry. Therefore, groundwater which is protected by the vadose zone and has better quality is now proposed to replace the contaminated surface water as a new source of water supply in this area. To find a high-quality groundwater resource, a detailed investigation and assessment was carried out in this study. The occurrence and distribution of the hydatidosis caused by the consumption of the contaminated surface water were analyzed. The World Health Organization (WHO) and national standards were applied to assess the suitability of groundwater for drinking purpose, and SAR, RSC, %Na, PI were used to evaluate the groundwater quality for irrigation usage. In addition, the overall groundwater quality was assessed using an entropy water quality index (EWQI), and its relationships with the physicochemical indices were discussed using the multiple linear regression models to explore the most important physicochemical indices affecting the groundwater quality. Finally, some measures for the prevention and treatment of the hydatidosis disease were proposed. The results show that the groundwater found beneath the study area is generally in good to excellent quality with low salinity and major ions. Groundwater in all constructed wells except only one is suitable for domestic and irrigation purposes with majority of the samples falling into HCO3-Ca·Mg type. The overall groundwater quality is mainly affected by COD, SO42−, and TH. Measures to reduce the incidence of hydatidosis such as cutting off the hydatidosis exposure pathway and improving the sanitation system are proposed.
KeywordsWater pollution Health risk Groundwater quality Water quality index Multiple linear regression
We are sincerely acknowledged to the financial support granted by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (41602238 and 41761144059), the Research Funds for Young Stars in Science and Technology of Shaanxi Province (2016KJXX-29), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of CHD (300102299301), the Fok Ying Tong Education Foundation (161098), the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2015M580804, 2016M590911, 2016T090878 and 2017T100719), the Shaanxi Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2015BSHTDZZ09 and 2016BSHTDZZ03), and the Ten Thousand Talents Program (W03070125).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Abdi J, Taherikalani M, Asadolahi K, Emaneini M (2013) Echinococcosis/hydatidosis in Ilam Province, western Iran. Iran J Parasitol 8(3):417–422Google Scholar
- Andalib AZ, Berenji F, Fata A, Jarahi L (2015) Human hydatidosis/echinococosis in north eastern Iran from 2003–2012. Iran J Parasitol 10(4):658–662Google Scholar
- Dudarev AA, Dorofeyev VM, Dushkina EV, Alloyarov PR, Chupakhin VS, Sladkova YN, Kolesnikova TA, Fridman KB, Nilsson LM, Evengard B (2013) Food and water security issues in russia iii: food- and waterborne diseases in the Russian Arctic, Siberia and the Far East, 2000–2011. Int J Circumpol Health 72(1):21856. https://doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v72i0.21856 Google Scholar
- Jhariya DC, Kumar T, Dewangan R, Pal D, Dewangan PK (2017) Assessment of groundwater quality index for drinking purpose in the Durg district, Chhattisgarh using geographical information system (GIS) and multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA) techniques. J Geol Soc India 89(4):453–459. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12594-017-0628-5 Google Scholar
- Li P, He S, Yang N, Xiang G (2018b) Groundwater quality assessment for domestic and agricultural purposes in Yan’an city, northwest China: implications to sustainable groundwater quality management on the Loess Plateau. Environ Earth Sci 77(23):775. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-2018-7968-3 Google Scholar
- Liu J (2016) Epidemic factors and prevention analysis of hydatidosis. Contemporary Anim Husbandry 5:90–91 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu M, Zhou B, Wang Z (2009) Study on catalytic ozonation/BAC process for advanced drinking water treatment. International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering. IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICBBE.2009.5163464
- Ministry of Health of the P.R. China, Standardization Administration of the P.R. China (2006) Standards for drinking water quality (GB5749–2006). China Standard Press, Beijing (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Qiu C (2006) Rehabilitating and rebuilding for alpine meadow ecosystem in Northwest Sichuan Province. Master dissertation of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tian R, Wu J (2019) Groundwater quality appraisal by improved set pair analysis with game theory weightage and health risk estimation of contaminants for Xuecha drinking water source in a loess area in Northwest China. Hum Ecol Risk Assess. https://doi.org/10.1080/10807039.2019.1573035 Google Scholar
- Vasanthavigar M, Srinivasamoorthy K, Vijayaragavan K, Ganthi RR, Chidambaram S, Anandhan P, Manivannan R, Vasudevan S (2010) Application of water quality index for groundwater quality assessment: thirumanimuttar sub-basin, Tamilnadu, India. Environ Monit Assess 171(1–4):595–609. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-1302-1 Google Scholar
- WHO (2017) Guidelines for drinking water quality: fourth edition incorporating the first addendum. World Health Organization, Geneva, p 631Google Scholar
- Yu W, Wang Q, Liao S, Zhong B, Liu L, Huang Y, He W, Xie F, Zou B, Xu K, Lu Z, Yang C (2018) Echinococcosis prevalence in humans in Shiqu County of Sichuan in 2017. J Prev Med Information 34(5):7–11 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zhang W (2013) Spatio-temporal simulation of land desertification in Three Rivers Source Area: a case of Shiqu County, Sichuan Province. Master Dissertation of Sichuan Normal University, Chengdu, China (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zhao Y (2008) Epidemiological studies of hydtidosis in the east parts of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Doctoral dissertation of Gansu Agricultural University, Lanzhou, China (in Chinese)Google Scholar