Occurrence of Telenomus dignus (Gahan) on the Sugarcane Borers, Scirpophaga intacta Snellen and Chilo sacchariphagus Bojer in Guangxi Province, China
- 36 Downloads
Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) is an important crash crop in Guangxi, China. The sugarcane borers (Scirpophaga intacta Snellen and Chilo sacchariphagus Bojer) cause serious damage to sugarcane crop in Guangxi Province. Consequently, increasing attention has been given into the investigation and development of biocontrol agents to control these pests. The parasitoid wasp Telenomus sp. has previously been reported as a natural enemy of sugarcane borers in Guangxi Province. Telenomus dignus is the species found parasitizing borer eggs in field in Fujian Province, but it has not been previously mentioned as natural enemy of these pests. T. dignus was collected on S. intacta egg masses and identified from Shangsi County of Guangxi Province during 2013. In these studies, the parasitic behavior of T. dignus on eggs of S. intacta and C. sacchariphagus was investigated under field conditions during 2013–2014. The results from the current study showed that the percentage of parasitized egg masses of S. intacta parasitized by T. dignus was 45.71 and 57.14% in 2013 and 2014, respectively, while in C. sacchariphagus egg masses, the percentage of parasitism by T. dignus was 45.28 and 51.09% in 2014, respectively. The sex ratio (female/male) of T. dignus adults on S. intacta was 1.45:1 in 2013 and 5.17:1 in 2014 and was 2.17:1 on C. sacchariphagus in 2014. T. dignus was the dominant egg parasitoid of these two species of sugarcane borers in isolated sugarcane regions in Guangxi Province. Further investigations on biology of T. dignus are required to develop this parasitoid as a more widespread biocontrol agent of sugarcane borers.
KeywordsSugarcane Parasitoid Telenomus dignus Scirpophaga intacta Chilo sacchariphagus China
We thank Professor Norman F. Johnson (The Ohio State University, USA) for the identification of Telenomus dignus (Gahan) and Dr. Shu-Jun Wei (Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Science, PR China) for the help of identification of this parasitoid wasp. This research was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of Guangxi Province (2014GXNSFAA118105), Guangxi Sugarcane Innovation Team of National Modern Agricultural Industrial Technology System (NYCYTXGXCXTD-03) and Fundamental Research of Guangxi Academy of Agricultural Sciences (2016YM01).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- An, Y.X., and C.X. Guan. 2010. The map of diseases, insect pests and control of sugarcane. Guangzhou: Jinan University Press.Google Scholar
- Chen, T.J. 1998. Outbreak and chemical control of sugarcane borers. Sugarcane 5(1): 22–25.Google Scholar
- Feng, Y.X. 2003. Superficial view to the integrated control of sugarcane diseases and pests in Zhanjiang. Sugarcane and Canesugar 2(27–29): 27.Google Scholar
- Jamshidnia, A., A. Kharazi-Pakdel, H. Allahyari, and E. Soleymannejadian. 2010. Functional response of Telenomus busseolae (Hym.: Scelionidae) an egg parasitoid of the sugarcane stem borer, Sesamia nonagrioides (Lep.: Noctuidae) at different temperatures. Biocontrol Science and Technology 20: 631–640.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, Y.R. 2010. Modern sugarcane science. Beijing: China Agriculture Press.Google Scholar
- Li, J.H., C.X. Guan, Y.X. An, and H.L. Xu. 2011a. A review on the research and application of biological control of sugarcane borers. Sugarcane and Canesugar 4: 81–86.Google Scholar
- Li, J.H., Y.R. He, R.B. Wu, C.X. Guan, C. Li, and L. Yu. 2011b. Structure and characteristics of the Arthropod community in sugarcane field. Journal of South China Agricultural University 32(1): 39–44.Google Scholar
- Pan, X.H., C.H. Huang, X.K. Shang, J.J. Wei, and B.H. Wang. 2012. Investigation on egg parasitoids of Chilo sacchariphagus Bojer in sugarcane planting areas of central and south Guangxi. Journal of Southern Agriculture 43(6): 784–787.Google Scholar
- Pan, X.H., C.H. Huang, J.J. Wei, X.K. Shang, and D. Wang. 2015a. Investigation on species and distribution of egg parasitoids against sugarcane borers in sugarcane planting areas of Guangxi. Journal of Southern Agriculture 46(9): 1619–1623.Google Scholar
- Pan, X.H., C.H. Huang, J.J. Wei, X.K. Shang, and D. Wang. 2015b. Preliminary investigation on parasitic effects of egg parasitoids on sugarcane borers. Sugar Crops of China 37(6): 53–55.Google Scholar
- Rao, V.P., A.N. Basu, V.R. Phalak, M.J. Chacko, and H.D. Rao. 1968. Some new records of parasites of rice stem-borers in India. Proceedings of the India Academy of Sciences-Section B 68: 91–110.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z.Y., Z.H. Zhou, X.Y. Xian, and K.C. Chen. 1995. Investigation of diseases, pests, weeds, rate and their natural enemies for sugarcane in Guangxi. Guangxi Agricultural Sciences 2: 75–78.Google Scholar