Fast simulation of dynamic heat transfer through building envelope via model order reduction
In this paper, a fast and accurate numerical simulation method on dynamic heat transfer through building envelopes has been developed by using the Krylov subspace and the balanced truncation model order reduction (MOR) algorithms. The computational accuracy and efficiency of the two MOR algorithms are discussed through the numerical simulation on a roof heat transfer in a one-day period, and then the two verified algorithms are applied to simulate the heat transfer through a multilayer wall for a week and the two-dimensional heat transfer through an L-shape thermal bridge. The results show that the relative errors of the two algorithms to the harmonic response method or to the direct solution method are all less than 1%, and the solving time with the two MOR algorithms decreases greatly. In addition, the Krylov subspace MOR algorithm has a faster solving speed and is more suitable for solving the heat transfer through a building envelope than the balanced truncation MOR algorithm.
Keywordsdynamic heat transfer model order reduction (MOR) Krylov subspace balanced truncation building envelope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beattie CA, Gugercin S (2007). Krylov-based minimization for optimal H2 model reduction. In: Proceedings of 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 4385–4390.Google Scholar
- Chen P, Cao S, Guo J (1987). Air Conditioning Load Calculation Theory and Method. Shanghai: Tongji University Press. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chinese Meteorological Information Center (2005). Chinese building thermal environment analysis of meteorological data. Beijing: China Architecture and Building Press. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Grimme EJ (1997). Krylov projection methods for model reduction. PhD Thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.Google Scholar
- He X, Kong Q, Xiao Z (2015). Fast simulation methods for dynamic heat transfer through building envelope based on model-orderreduction. In: Proceedings of 9th International Symposium on Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (ISHVAC) and 3rd International Conference on Building Energy and Environment (COBEE), Tianjin, China.Google Scholar
- Jiang Y (2010). Model Order Reduction Method. Beijing: Science Press. (in Chinese)Google Scholar