My burning issues in the management of liver metastases of advanced colorectal cancer
- 13 Downloads
Years ago liver metastases of any primary location were mostly treated by chemotherapy only and were associated with a poor prognosis. In the past few years, the surgical management of liver metastasis has received much hype because of new options in preoperative therapy and because of better (sometimes combined) interventional and surgical techniques. Many studies showed that liver metastases (LM) have an influence in long-term prognosis of metastasised diseases , especially in case of colorectal cancer liver metastasis (CRLM).
Conflict of interest
P. Tschann, S. Rauch, P. Girotti, H. Rumpold, and I. Königsrainer declare that they have no competing interests.
- 4.Martel G, Cieslak KP, Huang R, van Lienden KP, Wiggers JK, Belblidia A, Dagenais M, Lapointe R, van Gulik TM, Vandenbroucke-Menu F. Comparison of techniques for volumetric analysis of the future liver remnant: implications for major hepatic resections. HPB (Oxford). 2015;17(12):1051–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/hpb.12480.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN, Ellis LM, Ellis V, Pollock R, Broglio KR, Hess K, Curley SA. Recurrence and outcomes following hepatic resection, radiofrequency ablation, and combined resection/ablation for colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg. 2004;239(6):818–25. discussion 825–7.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Miller CL, Taylor MS, Qadan M, Deshpande V, Worthington S, Smalley R, Collura C, Ryan DP, Allen JN, Blaszkowsky LS, Clark JW, Murphy JE, Parikh AR, Berger D, Tanabe KK, Lillemoe KD, Ferrone CR. Prognostic significance of surgical margin size after neoadjuvant FOLFOX and/or FOLFIRI for colorectal liver metastases. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-017-3557-0.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Donadon M, Cescon M, Cucchetti A, Cimino M, Costa G, Pesi B, Ercolani G, Pinna AD, Torzilli G. Parenchymal-sparing surgery for the surgical treatment of multiple colorectal liver metastases is a safer approach than major hepatectomy not impairing patients’ prognosis: a bi-institutional propensity score-matched analysis. Dig Surg. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1159/000479336.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Moris D, Ronnekleiv-Kelly S, Kostakis ID, Tsilimigras DI, Beal EW, Papalampros A, Dimitroulis D, Felekouras E, Pawlik TM. Operative results and oncologic outcomes of associating liver partition and portal vein ligation for staged hepatectomy (ALPPS) versus two-stage hepatectomy (TSH) in patients with unresectable colorectal liver metastases: a systematic review and meta-analysis. World J Surg. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-017-4181-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Schnitzbauer AA, Lang SA, Goessmann H, Nadalin S, Baumgart J, Farkas SA, Fichtner-Feigl S, Lorf T, Goralcyk A, Horbelt R, Kroemer A, Loss M, Rummele P, Scherer MN, Padberg W, Konigsrainer A, Lang H, Obed A, Schlitt HJ. Right portal vein ligation combined with in situ splitting induces rapid left lateral liver lobe hypertrophy enabling 2—staged extended right hepatic resection in small-for-size settings. Ann Surg. 2012;255:405–14.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Pandanaboyana S, Bell R, Hidalgo E, Toogood G, Prasad KR, Bartlett A, Lodge JP. A systematic review and meta-analysis of portal vein ligation versus portal vein embolization for elective liver resection. Surgery. 2015;157(4):690–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2014.12.009.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar