Facilitated enumeration of the silicate bacterium Paenibacillus mucilaginosus comb. nov. (formerly Bacillus mucilaginosus) via tetrazolium chloride incorporation into a double agar-based solid growth medium
Accurate enumeration of Paenibacillus mucilaginosus (formerly Bacillus mucilaginosus) bacterium from environmental samples on solid medium is challenging owing to its extensive extracellular polysaccharides (EPS) excretion. In the present study, P. mucilaginosus enumeration has been facilitated by a simple modification: addition of triphenyl tetrazolium chloride (TTC) to growth medium and application of a second soft agar layer. Results show distinctively better and accurate colonies’ count. This method can be applied to all bacterial species that produce excessive EPS that may interfere with direct count.
This study has been supported by an internal fund (Micro Grants for the Technion Recycling Initiative, Technion, Israel).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Anonymous (2017) Biolog Inc. http://www.biolog.com/about.php
- Basak BB, Biswas DR (2009) Influence of potassium solubilizing microorganism (Bacillus mucilaginosus) and waste mica on potassium uptake dynamics by Sudan grass (Sorghum vulgare pers.) grown under two alfisols. Plant Soil 317(1-2):235–255. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-008-9805-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hu XF, Li SX, Wu JG, Wang JF, Fang QL, Chen JS (2010) Transfer of Bacillus mucilaginosus and Bacillus edaphicus to the genus Paenibacillus as Paenibacillus mucilaginosus comb. nov. and Paenibacillus edaphicus comb. nov. Int. J Syst Evol Microbiol 60(1):8–14. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.008532-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sun D, Meng J, Liang H, Yang E, Huang Y, Chen W, Jiang L, Lan Y, Zhang W, Gao J (2015) Effect of volatile organic compounds absorbed to fresh biochar on survival of Bacillus mucilaginosus and structure of soil microbial communities. J Soils Sediments 15(2):271–281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11368-014-0996-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsukatani T, Suenaga H, Higuchi T, Akao T, Ishiyama M, Ezoe K, Matsumoto K (2008) Colorimetric cell proliferation assay for microorganisms in microtiter plate using water-soluble tetrazolium salts. J Microbiol Methods 75(1):109–116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2008.05.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar