Microgravity Investigation of Capillary Driven Imbibition
- 100 Downloads
The goal of the present paper is to investigate the capillary driven filtration in porous media under microgravity conditions. New mathematical model that allows taking into account the blurring of the front due to the instability of the displacement that is developing at the front is proposed. The constants in the mathematical model were selected on the basis of the experimental data on imbibition into unsaturated porous media under microgravity conditions. The flow under the action of a combination of capillary forces and a constant pressure drop or a constant flux is considered. The effect of capillary forces and the type of wettability of the medium on the displacement process is studied. A criterion in which case the capillary effects are insignificant and can be neglected is established.
KeywordsMicrogravity Imbibition Capillary forces Porous media Seepage flows
The authors wish to acknowledge the support by Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grant initiative 17-08-01032).
- Lake, L.W.: Enhanced Oil Recovery. Prentice-Hall (1989)Google Scholar
- Nigmatilin, R.I.: Dynamics of Multiphase Media. Moscow Science Publication (1987)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Dushin, V.R., Legros, J.C., Istasse, E., Boseret, N., Mincke, J.C., Goodman, S.: Multiphase flows in porous medium – mathematical model and microgravity experiments. Micrograv. - Sci. Technol. IX/3, 222–231 (1996)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Nikitin, V.F., Norkin, A.V., Kudryavtseva, O.V., Legros, J.C., Istasse, E., Shevtsova, V.M.: Capillary Driven Filtration in Porous Media. Microgravity - Science and Technology, vol. XII/1, pp 23–35. Hanser Publ., Munich (1999)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Legros, J.C., Nikitin, V.F., Istasse, E., Schramm, L., Wassmuth, F., D’Arcy, H.: Filtration in Artificial Porous Media and Natural Sands under Microgravity Conditions. Microgravity - Science and Technology, vol. XIV/2, pp 3–28. Z-Tec Publishing, Bremen (2003)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Nikitin, V.F., Ivashnyov, O.E., Maximenko, A., Thiercelin, M., Vedernikov, A., Scheid, B., Legros, J.C.: Microgravity investigations of instability and mixing flux in frontal displacement of fluids. Micrograv. Sci. Technol XV/3, 3–28 (2004)Google Scholar