Inbreeding may affect phenotypic traits in an Italian population of Basset Hound dogs
The influence of inbreeding depression on phenotypic traits of a Basset Hound dog Italian population was evaluated. Moreover, this paper reports the first results of a survey on morphological traits and analyse the genetic variability of the population using genealogical information. The following traits were studied: height at withers, height of chest, depth of chest, body length, length at rump, ischiatic width of rump, circumference of chest, circumference of cannon, length of ear, and length of nose. The inbreeding coefficient (F) of each dog was computed by genealogical data. Traits were taken from 75 adult (mean age 2.17 ± 1.545 years) dogs (36 males and 39 females) belonging to 19 different Italian farms. A linear regression of each trait on inbreeding coefficient was used to estimate inbreeding depression. ANOVA was used to test the differences in morphological traits between the sexes, among breeders and among animals with different F level. Despite the good level of genetic variability and the low coefficients of inbreeding observed in the population, a significant weakly effect of inbreeding on the depth of chest was observed. In addition, the present study revealed no significant differences in morphological traits between sexes and among farms.
KeywordsBasset Hound dog Pedigree analysis Morphological traits Inbreeding depression
This work is supported by Grant of University of Pisa (Ateneo—Prof. Francesca Cecchi).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report that they have no conflicts of interest. The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of this article.
- Barba Capote CJ, Herrera Garcia M, Delgado Bermejo JV, Gutiérrez Cabezaz MJ (1996) Morpho-functional differences in the spanish water dog. Arch Zootec 45:37–43Google Scholar
- Beretti V, Vaccari Simonini F, Soffiantini CS, Sabbioni A (2008) Morphological characteristics and growth curves of Bolognese dog breed. In: Proc. 62th SISVET congress, S. Benedetto del Tronto (AP), 24–26 Settembre 2008, pp 449–450Google Scholar
- Hossein-Zadeh NG (2012) Inbreeding effects on body weight traits of Iranian Moghani sheep. Arch Tierz 55:171–178Google Scholar
- Khan MS, Ali A, Hyder AU, Iqbal AI (2007) Effect of inbreeding on growth and reproduction traits of Beetal goats. Arch Tierz 50:197–203Google Scholar
- Niknafs S, Abdi H, Fatemi SA, Zandi MB, Baneh H (2013) Genetic trend and inbreeding coefficients effects for growth and reproductive Traits in Mazandaran indigenous chicken. J Biol 3:25–31Google Scholar
- Różańska-Zawieja J, Nienartowicz-Zdrojewska A, Mucha M, Sobek Z, Stanisławsk D, Gierdziewicz M, Kania-Gierdziewicz J (2013) Evaluation of inbreeding and relationship coefficients in Hovawart dogs and analysis of trends in coat colour changes. Ann Anim Sci 13:253–262Google Scholar
- Sabbioni A, Beretti V, Vaccari Simonini F (2007) Parametri demografici, variabilità genetica e struttura della popolazione nella razza canina “Lagotto Romagnolo”. In: Proc. LXI congr. S.I.S.Vet, Salsomaggiore Terme, Italy, pp 409–410Google Scholar
- Sabbioni A, Beretti V, Vaccari Simonini F (2008) Parametri demografici, variabilità genetica e struttura della popolazione nella razza canina Bolognese. In: Proc. LXII congr. S.I.S.Vet, San Benedetto del Tronto, Italy, pp 467–468Google Scholar
- Sargolzaei M, Iwaisaki H, Colleau JJ (2006) CFC (Contribution, Inbreeding (F)), Coancestry, Release 1.0. A software package for pedigree analysis and monitoring genetic diversity. In: Proc. 8th world cong. on genetics applied on livestock production, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, CD-ROM comm. N 27–28Google Scholar
- SAS, JMP (2002) User’s Guide, ver. 5.0 SAS Inst. Cary, NC, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Sierszchulski J, Helak M, Wolc A, Szwaczkowski T, Schlote W (2005) Inbreeding rate and its effect on some conformation traits in Arabian mares. Anim Sci Pap Rep 23:51–59Google Scholar
- Silió L, Rodríguez MC, Fernández A, Barrangán C, Benítez R, Óvilo C, Fernández AI (2012) Measuring inbreeding and inbreeding depression on pig growth from pedigree or SNP-derived metrics. J Anim Breed Genet 130:349–360Google Scholar
- Società Basset Hound Italiana (2011) Lo standard ufficiale di razza. (FCI Standard n° 163 del 27 gennaio 2011). http://www.canitalia.it/CLUB/bassethound/index2.htm. Accessed 31 Jan 2018
- Tomezzoli A (2015) Il Basset Hound e la pet therapy. Basset Hound e dintorni. La prima rivista on line dedicata ai nostri Basset, a cura della S.i.Bas (Società Italiana Basset Hound) 3:14–16Google Scholar
- Vaccari Simonini F, Beretti V, Sabbioni A (2007) Morphologic characteristics of “Lagotto Romagnolo” dog breed. In: Proc. 61th SISVET congress, Salsomaggiore Terme (PR) 26–29 September, pp 411–412Google Scholar
- Van der Beek S, Nielen AL, Schukken YH, Brascamp EW (1999) Evaluation of genetic, common-litter, and within-litter effects on preweaning mortality in a birth cohort of puppies. Am J Res 60:1106–1110Google Scholar
- Wolc A, Balińska K (2010) Inbreeding effects on exterior traits in Polish konik horses. Arch Tierz 53:1–8Google Scholar