Distortional buckling of a CFS channel section with and without stiffened flanges
- 39 Downloads
Cold-formed steel (CFS) sections are commonly applied to modern engineering structures, such as roof truss, purlin and industrial goods rack. This study proposes an analytical model to investigate the distortional buckling behavior of CFS-lipped channel sections considering two load scenarios (i.e., axial compression and pure bending). The formulae and analytical solution for calculating the distortional buckling critical stress of CFS channel sections are derived on the basis of the total potential energy principle. The proposed model is extended to the channel section columns and beams with a stiffened flange. CUFSM and generalized beam theory (GBT) are used to conduct numerous channel section columns and beams to validate the proposed method. Results obtained from the proposed model are compared with those calculated using GBT and/or finite-strip code CUFSM. These numerical results are consistent with the model calculations for channel section with and without stiffeners.
KeywordsAnalytical model Distortional buckling Lipped channel section Stiffened flange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors acknowledge the financial support received from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 11572162), the 47th Scientific Research Foundation for Returned Scholars from the Ministry of Education of China, Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province (No. LY13A020007), Ningbo Rail Transit (JS-00-SG-17003) and K.C. Wong Magna Fund at Ningbo University.
- J. Zhu, S. G. Qian and L. Y. Li, Dynamic instability of channel-section beams under periodic loading, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (2018) 1–10.Google Scholar
- J. Zhu and L. Y. Li, Effect of shear stress on distortional buckling of CFS beams subjected to uniformly distributed transverse loading, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (2018) 1–7.Google Scholar
- V. Z. Vlasov, Thin-walled elastic beams Jerusalem, Israel, Israel Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem, Israel (1961).Google Scholar
- J. T. Oden, E. A. Ripperger and H. Saunders, Mechanics of elastic Structures, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York (1967).Google Scholar
- S. P. Timoshenko, Theory of Elastic Stability, McGraw-Hill Book Co (1936).Google Scholar