Comparative numerical and experimental investigation of static and dynamic characteristics of composite plates
- 42 Downloads
In order to investigate both static and dynamic characteristics of composite plates and validate a contemporary, non-invasive experimental technique a comparative experimental and numerical analysis was performed. Three, geometrically the same but different in ply orientation, carbon-epoxy laminates were tested in both healthy and damaged conditions. Damages were inflicted in a shape of horizontal crack. Experiments and numerical simulations were performed by digital image correlation (DIC) and finite element method (FEM), respectively. Obtained time-responses of the tested structures were fast Fourier transformed (FFT) to frequency domain for a clearer understanding of natural frequencies and oscillation modes. Results are presented in tabular and graphical form. The overall correspondence of two sets of structural displacements is satisfactory. Some discrepancies might be contributed to the idealized geometry and restraint consideration. Also, due to the fast damping of higher tones, the errors in determining higher natural frequencies increase but still remain in 5 % range.
KeywordsComposite plates Horizontal crack DIC FEM FFT
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research work is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia through Technological Development Project no. 35035.
- V. Vasiliev and E. Morozov, Mechanics and Analysis of Composite Materials, First Ed., Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK (2001).Google Scholar
- PONTOS/ARAMIS HighSpeed PHOTRON SA1 User Information, GOM mbH, Braunschweig, Germany (2008).Google Scholar
- ARAMIS v6.3 and Higher User Manual-Software, GOM mbH, Braunschweig, Germany (2013).Google Scholar
- ASTM D7264/D7264M-15, Standard Test Method for Flexural Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, USA (2015).Google Scholar
- A. M. Simonović, M. M. Jovanović, N. S. Lukić, N. D. Zorić, S. N. Stupar and S. S. Ilić, Experimental studies on active vibration control of smart plate using a modified PID controller with optimal orientation of piezoelectric actuator, Journal of Vibration and Control, 22 (11) (2016) 2619–2631.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- C. Goidescu, H. Welemane, C. Garnier, M. Fazzini, R. Brault, E. Péronnet and S. Mistou, Damage investigation in CFRP composites using full-field measurement techniques: Combination of digital image stereo-correlation, infrared thermography and X-ray tomography, Composites Part B: Engineering, 48 (2013) 95–105.CrossRefGoogle Scholar