Investigation of heat-exchanger-sizing methods using genetic, pattern search, and simulated annealing algorithms and the effect of entropy generation
- 2 Downloads
A numerical study on the heat exchanger design process has been conducted in order to propose a more effective method for the preliminary design of highly efficient and compact heat exchanger. The ε-NTU based performance prediction program and the heat exchanger database having performance correlations of various fin-type heat exchanger were developed. Numerical characteristics of the genetic, pattern search, and simulated annealing algorithms for the heat exchanger sizing were compared in terms of the accuracy and the computational speed. The effect of margins in design requirements were examined through the size ranking and the response surface analysis. The usefulness of the entropy generation minimization was appraised by comparing to the case when the objective function was the volume of the heat exchanger.
KeywordsHeat exchanger ε-NTU Optimization algorithm Entropy generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. Wang, Performance analysis and optimal design of heat exchanger and heat exchanger networks, Department of Heat and Power engineering, Lund Institute of Technology (2001).Google Scholar
- J. H. Doo, M. Y. Ha, J. K. Min, R. Stieger, A. Rolt and C. Son, An investigation of cross-corrugated heat exchanger primary surfaces for advanced intercooled-cycle aero engines (Part-1: Design optimization of primary surface), International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 55 (19) (2012) 5256–5267.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R. V. Rao and V. K. Patel, Thermodynamic optimization of plate-fin heat exchanger using teaching-learning-based optimization (TBLO) algorithm, International Journal of Advances in Thermal Sciences and Engineering, 2 (2) (2011) 91–96.Google Scholar
- J.-M. Reneaume and N. Niclout, MINLP optimization of plate fin heat exchangers, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 17 (1) (2003) 65–76.Google Scholar
- D. K. Lee, S. J. Jeong and S. Y. Kim, A study on the efficient optimization method by coupling genetic algorithm and direct search method, Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 31 (3) (1994) 12–18.Google Scholar
- A. P. Vega, M. Sen, K. T. Yang and R. L. McClain, Genetic algorithm based predictions of fin-tube heat exchanger performance, Heat Transfer Conference, 6 (1998) 137–142.Google Scholar
- W. M. Kays and L. L. London, Compact heat exchangers, McGrawHill Book co, New York (1984).Google Scholar
- J. C. Adams, Advanced heat transfer surfaces for gas turbine heat exchangers, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Oxford (2004).Google Scholar
- J. H. Holland, Adaptation in natural and artificial systems, Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press (1975).Google Scholar
- M. Kim, M. Y. Ha, J. K. Min, R. Stieger, A. Rolt and C. Son, Numerical study on the cross-corrugated primary surface heat exchanger having asymmetric cross-sectional profiles for advanced intercooled-cycle aero engines, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 66 (2013) 139–153.CrossRefGoogle Scholar