Parameter analysis and design for the hovering thrust of a quad-rotor air vehicle using CFD and design of experiment
- 7 Downloads
The present study explores the aerodynamic parameter analysis and design of a quad-rotor air vehicle in hover using Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and Design of experiments (DOE). Following the identification of the center distance between rotors in terms of hovering thrust and velocity/pressure distributions, the blade-shape parameter design is implemented to predict the optimal levels of twist angle, maximum chord position, blade cross-section type and twist position, and the significant factor effects and factor interactions in DOE are discussed. The present study shows that optimized twist angle and twist-starting position enables maximum hovering thrust in the proposed quad-copter.
KeywordsQuad-rotor air vehicle (Quad-Copter) Computational fluid dynamics Hovering thrust Center distance Blade-shape parameters Design of experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. R. Girard, A. S. Howell and J. K. Hedrick, Border patrol and surveillance missions using multiple unmanned air vehicles, Proceedings of the 43rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 1 (2004) 620–625.Google Scholar
- P. Pounds, R. Mahony, J. Gresham, P. Corke and J. Roberts, Towards dynamically-favourable quad-rotor aerial robots, Proceedings of the 2004 Australasian Conference on Robotics & Automation, Canberra, Australia, April (2004).Google Scholar
- S. U. Islam, C. Y. Zhou and F. Ahmad, Numerical simulations of cross-flow around four square cylinders in an in-line rectangular configuration, World Academy of Sciences, Engineering Technology, 33 (2009) 824–833.Google Scholar
- P. C. Trizaila, Aerodynamics of low Reynolds number rigid flapping wing under hover and free-stream conditions, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Michigan (2011).Google Scholar
- ANSYS FLUENT 14.5 Help, ANSYS, INC., Canonsburg, PA (2013).Google Scholar
- T. H. Kim, S. J. An, Y. D. Jo, K. M. Moon, B. Y. Bae and D. H. Yang, A study on the composite blade performance variation by attaching erosion shield for hovercraft, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 33 (7) 1017–1025.Google Scholar
- R. Steij and G. Barakos, CFD analysis of rotor-fuselage interactional aerodynamics, Proceedings of the 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, January (2007).Google Scholar
- M. H. Mohamed, A. M. Ali and A. A. Hafiz, CFD analysis for H-rotor darrieus turbine as a low speed wind energy converter, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 18 (1) (2014) 1–13.Google Scholar
- W. Y. Fowlkes and C. M. Creveling, Engineering methods for robust product design, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA (1995).Google Scholar