Full Duplex Communications for Next Generation Cellular Networks: The Capacity Gain
Full duplex communication highly improves spectrum efficiency of a wireless communication link. However, when it is applied to a cellular network, the capacity gain from this technology remains unknown. The reason is that full duplex communication changes the aggregate interference experienced by each communication link in cellular networks. In this paper, the capacity gain from full duplex communication is studied for cellular networks of 4G and beyond, where the same frequency channel is adopted in each cell. A two-layer Poisson point process (PPP) is adopted to model the network topology, and stochastic geometry is employed to derive the coverage probability and the average capacity of typical link in a cellular network. On the basis of these derived parameters, the capacity gain from full duplex communication is determined. Numerical results reveal that without mutual interference cancellation (MIC), the capacity gain is small under various power levels; with perfect MIC at base stations, the capacity gain can exceed 60%; with imperfect MIC at base stations, the capacity gain decreases quickly even with a slight drop of MIC performance.
Key wordsfull duplex communication cellular networks capacity gain mutual interference cancellation (MIC) stochastic geometry
CLC numberTN 911
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- JAIN M, CHOI J I, KIM T M, et al. Practical, realtime, full duplex wireless [C]//Proceedings of the 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking. Las Vegas, Nevada: ACM, 2011: 301–312.Google Scholar
- XIE X F, ZHANG X Y. Does full-duplex double the capacity of wireless networks? [C]// IEEE Conference on Computer Communications. [s.l.]: IEEE, 2014: 253–261.Google Scholar
- KHOJASTEPOUR M A, SUNDARESAN K, RANGARAJAN S, et al. Scaling wireless full-duplex in multi-cell networks [C]//IEEE Conference on Computer Communications. [s.l.]: IEEE, 2015: 1751–1759.Google Scholar
- STOYAN D, KENDALLW S, MECKE J. Stochastic geometry and its applications [M]. Chichester: Wiley Chichester, 1995.Google Scholar
- GOYAL S, LIU P, HUA S, et al. Analyzing a fullduplex cellular system [C]//47th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS). [s.l.]: IEEE, 2013: 1–6.Google Scholar