Numerical study on water depth effects on hydrodynamic forces acting on berthing ships
- 79 Downloads
Due to the restrictions of ports, maneuverability of berthing ships will be affected significantly by water depth. In the present study, numerical simulation of the berthing maneuver of a ship with prescribed translational motion is performed by solving the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) equations based on overset grid, and the effects of the quaywall and freesurface are taken into consideration. To validate the present numerical method, comparison is performed between our results and the other results or measurements. It is found that the agreement is significantly better than that resulting from previous CFD-based approach. Subsequently, the effects of various water depths are investigated to evaluate their influences on hydrodynamic forces. The present results can provide helpful guidance on safe maneuvering for vessels’ berthing and fender system design in quays.
Key wordsberthing maneuver overset grid shallow water viscous flow numerical simulation
CLC numberU 661.3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LEE Y S, TODA Y, SADAKANE H. The prediction of hydrodynamic forces acting on ship hull undergoing lateral berthing maneuver in shallow water [C]//Proceedings of MARSIM. Kanazawa, Japan: [s.n.], 2003: 253–258.Google Scholar
- HUANG E T, DAVIS D A, KIM C H, et al. Measurement of transient flow induced by a berthing barge in the towing tank [C]//Proceedings of the 25th American Towing Tank Conference. Iowa City, USA: University of Iowa, 1998: 1–16.Google Scholar
- HUANG E T, DAVIS D A, KIM C H, et al. Measurement of transient flow induced by a berthing barge [R]. Port Hueneme, California: Naval Facilities Engineering Service Center, Technical Memborandum TM-2276-AMP, 1998.Google Scholar
- ABRAMOWICZ-GERIGK T. Identification, classification and hierarchization of parameters influencing interaction forces between quay and berthing vessel [J]. Journal of KONBiN, 2006, 1(1): 97–104.Google Scholar
- CHEN H C, CHEN M, DAVIS D A. Numerical simulation of transient flows induced by a berthing ship [J]. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 1997, 7(4): 277–284.Google Scholar
- CHEN H C, HUANG E. Validation of a chimera RANS method for transient flows induced by a full–scale berthing ship [C]// Proceedings of 22nd Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics. Washington, D. C., USA: [s.n.], 1998: 948.Google Scholar
- HUANG E T, CHEN H C. Ship berthing at a floating pier [C]//Proceedings of the Thirteenth (2003) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Honolulu, Hawaii, USA: [s.n.], 2003: 683–690.Google Scholar
- TODA Y, LEE Y S, SADAKANE H. Numerical investigations of hydrodynamic forces acting on a ship hull under lateral low speed motion [J]. Journal of the Kansai Society of Naval Architects, 2002, 238: 77–83.Google Scholar
- KONG G Y, LEE Y S, LEE S M. A study on the modeling of transitional lateral force acting on the berthing ship by CFD [J]. International Journal of Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004, 18(7): 1196–1202.Google Scholar
- WANG H M, XIE Y H, ZOU Z J, et al. Numerical study on viscous hydrodynamic forces acting on a berthing tanker model [C]//Proceedings of Twentyfirst (2011) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Maui, Hawaii, USA: [s.n.], 2011: 596–600.Google Scholar