Optimization of CMOS repeater driven interconnect RC line using genetic algorithm
- 32 Downloads
In this work, optimization of complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) repeater driven interconnect resistive-capacitive (RC) line is carried out using genetic algorithm (GA). This work is aimed at powerdelay- product (PDP) minimization of RC interconnect at 180 nm technology node. The algorithm simultaneously optimizes the values of supply voltage, number of repeaters and repeater width for delay and PDP minimization. The accuracy of results obtained is verified by simulations from Cadence virtuoso tool. For delay minimization, comparison of GA results with previous results of the literature shows an improvement of 44.4% in the value of the optimal number of repeaters required. This improvement is obtained by increasing the repeater size, which also increases power dissipation, so a tradeoff has also been achieved in terms of PDP minimization. The comparison of PDP results obtained in this work, with the results at 70, 100, and 130 nm technologies from literature shows improvement in optimal number of repeaters required. The results of algorithm and simulations are in good agreement and demonstrate the validity of proposed algorithm.
Key wordscomplementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) genetic algorithm interconnects optimal power-delay-product repeater
CLC numberTP 333
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- RABEY J M. Digital integrated circuits: A design perspective [M]. 2nd ed. India: Prentice Hall of India, 2002: 134–172.Google Scholar
- ABOU-SEIDO A I, NOWAK B, CHU C. Fitted Elmore delay: A simple and accurate interconnect delay model [J]. IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems, 2004: 1–7.Google Scholar
- CHANDEL R, RAO S. Optimal design of repeaters using GA for VLSI interconnects [J]. International Journal of Information and Telecommunication Technology, 2012, 4(1): 5–11.Google Scholar
- ISMAIL Y I, FRIEDMAN E G. Optimum repeater insertion based on a CMOS Delay model for on-chip RLC interconnect [C]//Proceedings of 11th Annual IEEE International ASIC Conference. [s.l.]: IEEE, 1998: 369–373.Google Scholar
- GORE C, BRITTO F, RAJE M. Genetic algorithms in VLSI floorplanning [J]. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, 2012, 1(8): 1–7.Google Scholar
- SILLA C N. Teaching genetic algorithm-based parameter optimization using Pacman [C]//Proceedings of Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). [s.l.]: IEEE, 2016: 1–6.Google Scholar
- HOUCK C R, JOINES J A, KAY M G. A genetic algorithm for function optimization: A Matlab implementation [R]. Raleigh: North Carolina State University, 1995.Google Scholar
- KHANNA G. Optimal design and mitigation of non ideal effects in VLSI interconnects [D]. Hamirpur, India: National Institute of Technology, 2012.Google Scholar