Metacarpal fractures in the athlete
- 182 Downloads
Purpose of review
To describe current evaluation and treatment of metacarpal fractures in athletes
Biomechanical and clinical studies involving lower-profile, locking, shorter length, and double-row or separate-dual plate configurations, as well as intramedullary screw fixation, have demonstrated the potential benefits of internal fixation with promising results.
Treatment should be customized to the specific athlete and injury, and is often successful without surgery, or with percutaneous pin fixation. Internal fixation of metacarpal fractures has improved with new hardware and new techniques, and may expedite return to play, although further clinical studies are needed.
KeywordsAthlete Metacarpal fracture
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
Human and animal rights and informed consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance
- 14.Bannasch H, Heermann AK, Iblher N, Momeni A, Schulte-Mönting J, Stark GB. Ten years stable internal fixation of metacarpal and phalangeal hand fractures-risk factor and outcome analysis show no increase of complications in the treatment of open compared with closed fractures. J Trauma. 2010;68(3):624–8. doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e3181bb8ea0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.• Doarn MC, Nydick JA, Williams BD, Garcia MJ. Retrograde headless intramedullary screw fixation for displaced fifth metacarpal neck and shaft fractures: short term results. Hand (N Y). 2015;10(2):314–8. doi: 10.1007/s11552-014-9620-3. Retrospective study demonstrating intramedullary screw fixation CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.• del Piñal F, Moraleda E, Rúas JS, de Piero GH, Cerezal L. Minimally invasive fixation of fractures of the phalanges and metacarpals with intramedullary cannulated headless compression screws. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(4):692–700. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2014.11.023. Retrospective study demonstrating intramedullary screw fixation CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.• Etier BE, Scillia AJ, Tessier DD, Aune KT, Emblom BA, Dugas JR, Cain EL. Return to play following metacarpal fractures in football players. Hand (N Y). 2015;10(4):762–6. doi: 10.1007/s11552-015-9769-4. Retrospective study demonstrating rapid return to football after internal fixation CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.• Kodama N, Takemura Y, Ueba H, Imai S, Matsusue Y. Operative treatment of metacarpal and phalangeal fractures in athletes: early return to play. J Orthop Sci. 2014;19(5):729–36. doi: 10.1007/s00776-014-0584-5. Retrospective study demonstrating rapid return to sports after internal fixation CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar