A Multiplex Immunochromatographic Assay Employing Colored Latex Beads for Simultaneously Quantitative Detection of Four Nitrofuran Metabolites in Animal-Derived Food
- 243 Downloads
A rapid and sensitive high-throughput latex bead immunochromatographic assay (LB-ICA) for simultaneously quantitative detection of four major nitrofuran metabolites, including semicarbazide (SEM), 1-aminohydantoin (AHD), 3-amino-5-methylmorpholino-2-oxazolidinone (AMOZ), and 3-amino-2-oxazolidinone (AOZ) in animal-derived food (chicken, fish, and shrimp) was developed. Four different coating antigens were separately immobilized on nitrocellulose (NC) membrane as capture reagents; red latex beads were sprayed as constant control line. Specific monoclonal antibodies labeled with blue- or red-colored latex bead reacted with analytes in standard or sample and flowed along the strip, exhibiting visible and colorful test lines after unbound antibodies coupled with corresponding antigens on four test lines. No mutual interference was found in the simultaneous detection of the four analytes even at concentrations (100 μg L−1) higher than their respective cutoff values. The limits of detection (LODs) for SEM, AHD, AMOZ, and AOZ were 0.02–0.1 μg kg−1 in chicken, 0.02–0.15 μg kg−1 in fish, and 0.03–0.12 μg kg−1 in shrimp, respectively. Recoveries ranged from 73.5 to 109.2% at fortified concentration of LOD, 2LOD, and 4LOD, with coefficient of variation < 15%. Analysis of field animal-derived food samples by LB-ICA was in accordance with that of LC-MS/MS. Therefore, this proposed multiplex LB-ICA was a promising method for on-site screening of multiple analytes in animal-derived food.
KeywordsNitrofuran metabolites Multiplex immunochromatographic assay Latex bead Quantitative detection Animal-derived food
This paper received financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 31672605 and 31671787), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (Grant No. 2016M590855), Chongqing Research Program of Basic Research and Frontier Technology (Nos. cstc2017jcyjAX0313 and cstc2018jcyjAX0242), Chongqing Postdoctoral Science Foundation Special Funded Project (Xm2017074), Chongqing Herbivorous Livestock Industrial Technical System (Y201706), and Chongqing Graduate Research and Innovation Project (CYS18119).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Jia Wang declares that she has no conflict of interest. Xiaoxi Chang declares that she has no conflict of interest. Xiaowei Zuo declares that she has no conflict of interest. Hebing Liu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Licai Ma declares that he has no conflict of interest. Hongjun Li declares that he has no conflict of interest. Xiaoqi Tao declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent is not applicable in this study.
- Aldeek F, Hsieh KC, Ugochukwu ON, Gerard G, Hammack W (2017) Accurate quantitation and analysis of nitrofuran metabolites, chloramphenicol, and florfenicol in seafood by ultrahigh-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: method validation and regulatory samples. J Agr Food Chem 66(20):5018–5030. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.7b04360 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cooper KM, Mulder PP, van Rhijn JA, Kovacsics L, McCracken RJ, Young PB, Kennedy DG (2005) Depletion of four nitrofuran antibiotics and their tissue-bound metabolites in porcine tissues and determination using LC-MS/MS and HPLC-UV. Food Addit Contam 22(5):406–414. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030512331385218 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dou LN, Zhao BX, Bu T, Zhang WT, Huang Q, Yan LZ, Huang LJ, Wang YR, Wang JL, Zhang DH (2018) Highly sensitive detection of a small molecule by a paired labels recognition system based lateral flow assay. Anal Bioanal Chem 410(13):3161–3170. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216018-1003-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- European Commission (2003) 2003/181/EC Commission decision of 13 march amending decision 2002/657/EC as regards the setting of minimum required performance limits (MRPLs) for certain residues in food of animal origin. Off J Eur Union L71:17–18Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009) Regulation (EC) No 470/2009 of the European Parliament and of the council of 6 may 2009 laying down community procedures for the establishment of residue limits of pharmacologically active substances in foodstuffs of animal origin, repealing council regulation (EEC) no2377/90 and amending directive 2001/82/EC of the European Parliament and of the council and regulation (EC) no 726/2004 of the European Parliament and of the council. Off J Eur Union L152:11–22Google Scholar
- Register F (2002) Topical nitrofurans, extralabel animal drug use, order of prohibition. Fed Regist 67:5470–5471Google Scholar
- Fernando R, Munasinghe DMS, Gunasena ARC, Abeynayake P (2017) Determination of nitrofuran metabolites in shrimp muscle by liquid chromatography-photo diode array detection. Food Control 72:300–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont. 2015.08.044
- Gu HW, Yang ZM, Gao JH, Chang CK, Xu B (2005) Heterodimers of nanoparticles: formation at a liquid−liquid interface and particle-specific surface modification by functional molecules J Am Chem Soc 127(1):34–35. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja045220h
- Hoogenboom LA, van Bruchem GD, Sonne K, Enninga IC, van Rhijn JA, Heskamp H, Huveneers-Oorsprong MBM, van der Hoeven JCM, Kuiper HA (2002) Absorption of a mutagenic metabolite released from protein-bound residues of furazolidone. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 11(3–4):273–287. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1382-6689(02)00013-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jester ELE, Abraham A, Wang Y, El Said KR, Plakas SM (2014) Performance evaluation of commercial ELISA kits for screening of furazolidone and furaltadone residues in fish. Food Chem 145:593–598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.08.090
- Jiang WX, Luo PJ, Wang X, Chen X, Zhao YF, Shi W, Wu XP, Wu YN, Shen JZ (2012) Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of nitrofurantoin metabolite, 1-amino-hydantoin, in animal tissues. Food Control 23(1):20–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2011.05.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li YF, Sun YM, Beier RC, Lei HT, Gee S, Hammock BD, Wang H, Wang ZH, Sun XL, Shen YD, Yang JY, Xu ZL (2017b) Immunochemical techniques for multianalyte analysis of chemical residues in food and the environment: a review. TRAC-Trend Anal Chem 88:25–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2016.12.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu YC, Jiang W, Chen YJ, Xiao Y, Shi JL, Qiao YB, Zhang HJ, Li T, Wang Q (2013) A novel chemiluminescent ELISA for detecting furaltadone metabolite, 3-amino-5-morpholinomethyl-2-oxazolidone (AMOZ) in fish, egg, honey and shrimp samples. J Immunol Methods 395(1–2):29–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jim.2013.06.006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu W, Zhao CB, Zhang YL, Lu SX, Liu JT, Xi R (2007) Preparation of polyclonal antibodies to a derivative of 1-aminohydantoin (AHD) and development of an indirect competitive ELISA for the detection of nitrofurantoin residue in water. J Agr Food Chem 55(17):6829–6834. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf070620k CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McCracken RJ, Blanchflower WJ, Rowan C, McCoy MA, Kennedy DG (1995) Determination of furazolidone in porcine tissue using thermospray liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and a study of the pharmacokinetics and stability of its residues. Analyst 120(9):2347–2351. https://doi.org/10.1039/AN9952002347 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- McNamee SE, Rosar G, Persic L, Elliott CT, Campbell K (2017) Feasibility of a novel multispot nanoarray for antibiotic screening in honey. 34(4):511–562. https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2017.1280188
- O’Mahony J, Moloney M, McConnell RI, Benchikh EO, Lowry P, Furey A, Danaher M (2011) Simultaneous detection of four nitrofuran metabolites in honey using a multiplexing biochip screening assay. Biosens Bioelectron 26(10):4076–4081. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2011.03.036 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Regulation of Department of Agriculture of China (2002) No. In: 193Google Scholar
- Shen YD, Xu ZL, Zhang SW, Wang H, Yang JY, Lei HT, Xiao ZL, Sun YM (2012) Development of a monoclonal antibody-based competitive indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for furaltadone metabolite AMOZ in fish and shrimp samples. J Agr Food Chem 60(44):10991–10997. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf302913h CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Song J, Yang H, Wang YZ, Si WH, Deng AP (2012) Direct detection of 3-amino-5-methylmorpholino- 2-oxazolidinone (AMOZ) in food samples without derivatisation step by a sensitive and specific monoclonal antibody based ELISA. Food Chem 135(3):1330–1336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.05.107 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sun Q, Luo JH, Zhang L, Zhang ZH, Le T (2018) Development of monoclonal antibody-based ultrasensitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and fluorescence-linked immunosorbent assay for 1-aminohydantoin detection in aquatic animals. J Pharmaceut Biomed 147:417–424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2017.06.068 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tang T, Wei FD, Wang X, Ma YJ, Song YY, Ma YS, Song Q, Xu GH, Cen Y, Hu Q (2018) Determination of semicarbazide in fish by molecularly imprinted stir bar sorptive extraction coupled with high performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B 1076:8–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2018.01.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tao YF, Chen DM, Wei HM, Pan YH, Liu ZL, Huang LL, Wang YL, Xie SY, Yuan ZH (2012) Development of an accelerated solvent extraction, ultrasonic derivatisation LC-MS/MS method for the determination of the marker residues of nitrofurans in freshwater fish. Food Addit Contam A 29(5):736–745. https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2011.651629 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Valera-Tarifa NM, Plaza-Bolaños P, Romero-González R, Martínez-Vidal JL, Garrido-Frenich A (2013) Determination of nitrofuran metabolites in seafood by ultra high performance liquid chromatography coupled to triple quadrupole tandem mass spectrometry. J Food Compos Anal 30(2):86–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2013.01.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang C, Li XM, Peng T, Wang ZH, Wen K, Jiang HY (2017) Latex bead and colloidal gold applied in a multiplex immunochromatographic assay for high-throughput detection of three classes of antibiotic residues in milk. Food Control 77:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.01.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang F, Wang H, Shen YD, Li YJ, Dong JX, Xu ZL, Yang JY, Sun YM, Xiao ZL (2016) Bispecific monoclonal antibody-based multianalyte ELISA for furaltadone metabolite, malachite green, and leucomalachite green in aquatic products. J Agr Food Chem 64(42):8054–8061. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b03233 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Q, Liu YC, Wang MY, Chen YJ, Jiang W (2018) A multiplex immunochromatographic test using gold nanoparticles for the rapid and simultaneous detection of four nitrofuran metabolites in fish samples. Anal Bioanal Chem 410(1):223–233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-017-0714-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xing CR, Jing XX, Zhang X, Yuan J (2017) Ultrasensitive indirect competitive ELISA and strip sensor for detection of furazolidone metabolite in animal tissues. 28(6):1214–1269. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2017.1337083
- Yan LZ, Dou LN, Bu T, Huang Q, Wang R, Yang QF, Huang LJ, Wang JL, Zhang DH (2018) Highly sensitive furazolidone monitoring in milk by a signal amplified lateral flow assay based on magnetite nanoparticles labeled dual-probe. Food Chem 261:131–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.04.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang D, Huang L, Liu B, Ni HB, Sun LD, Su EB, Chen HY, Gu ZZ, Zhao XW (2018) Quantitative and ultrasensitive detection of multiplex cardiac biomarkers in lateral flow assay with core-shell SERS nanotags. Biosens Bioelectron 106:204–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2018.01.062 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang ZW, Wu YP, Li XW, Wang YY, Li H, Fu Q, Shan YW, Liu TH, Xia X (2017) Multi-class method for the determination of nitroimidazoles, nitrofurans, and chloramphenicol in chicken muscle and egg by dispersive-solid phase extraction and ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Food Chem 217:182–190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.08.097 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar