Comparative Analysis of the Volatile Profile of 20 Commercial Samples of Truffles, Truffle Sauces, and Truffle-Flavored Oils by Using HS-SPME-GC-MS
- 233 Downloads
The aroma profile of raw truffles, of truffle sauces, and of natural and artificial truffle flavored oils made from or made to imitate Tuber magnatum, Tuber melanosporum, and Tuber aestivum was characterized by solid-phase microextraction-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (SPME-GC-MS). Both naturally and artificially made oils were not only mainly dominated by bis(methylthio)methane (BMTM), a marker compound typical of white truffle, but also found in most of the oil samples flavored with black truffle. BMTM was not detected or detected in low amounts in black truffles but was very high in sauces (59.74–77.691%); instead, 1-octen-3-ol was high in truffles (35.227–75.208%) but low in sauces. Along the same lines, terpenoid compounds such as α-cubebene, copaene, caryophyllene, α-caryophyllene, and α-farnesene were not detected at all in T. aestivum raw truffle but were present in most truffle sauces. Thus, it was found that neither the natural nor the artificial truffle oil samples adequately replicated the aromas of the species of truffle examined, and this was confirmed by principal component analysis (PCA).
KeywordsTruffle Truffle flavored oils Truffle sauces HS-SPME GC-MS
Volatile organic compound
The authors would like to thank Sheila Beatty for her editing of the English usage in the manuscript and Urbani Tartufi S.r.l. (Sant’Anatolia di Narco, Perugia, Italy) for economic support.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Funding information is not available.
Conflict of Interest
Elisabetta Torregiani declares that she has no conflict of interest. Sophie Lorier declares that she has no conflict of interest. Gianni Sagratini declares that he has no conflict of interest. Filippo Maggi declares that he has no conflict of interest. Sauro Vittori declares that he has no conflict of interest. Giovanni Caprioli declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- DIRECTIVE 2000/13/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 March 2000 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the labelling, presentation and advertising of foodstuffs. Official Journal of the European Communities L109: 29–42. Last accessed online 19/12/2014 at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32000L0013&from=EN
- International Organisation of the Flavour Industry (2012) IOFI Code of Practice version 1.3. Last accessed online on 19/12/2014 at http://www.iofi.org/Home/Code-of-Practice/IOFI-Code-of-Practice/page.aspx/103
- Kitson FG, Larsen BS, McEwen CN (1996) Gas chromatography and mass spectrometry: a practical guide. Academic, San Diego, pp. 3-35–325-365 Chapters 1 & 4Google Scholar
- NIST 08 (2008) Mass spectral library (NIST/EPA/NIH). Gaithersburg, MD, National Institute of Standards and Technology.Google Scholar
- REGULATION (EC) No 1334/2008 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 16 December 2008 on flavourings and certain food ingredients with flavouring properties for use in and on foods and amending Council Regulation (EEC) No 1601/91, Regulations (EC) No 2232/96 and (EC) No 110/2008 and Directive 2000/13/EC. Official Journal of the European Communities L354: 34–50. Last accessed online 19/12/2014 at http://www.effa.eu/media/pages/21/506/FL0905Regulation13342008EPCouncilFlavourings31122008.pdf
- REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 25 October 2011 on the provision of food information to consumers, amending Regulations (EC) No 1924/2006 and (EC) No 1925/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council, and repealing Commission Directive 87/250/EEC, Council Directive 90/496/EEC, Commission Directive 1999/10/EC, Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Directives 2002/67/EC and 2008/5/EC and Commission Regulation (EC) No 608/2004. Official Journal of the European Union L304: 18–63. Last accessed online on 19/12/2014 at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0018:0063:EN:PDF