Cardioband system: a novel percutaneous solution for atrioventricular valve insufficiency
- 12 Downloads
What is known about The Cardioband in the clinical area? Severe secondary mitral valve insufficiency frequently affects high-risk surgical patients. Cardioband system is a novel percutaneous surgical-like device for direct annuloplasty. It is totally implanted in the beating heart, by transvenous femoral access with minimal impact on hemodynamic and cardiac function during the implantation. It has been demonstrated to be safe and feasible in high-risk patients with functional mitral regurgitation, with high rates of implant success, significant annular reduction and regurgitation improvements. That positively impacts directly on ventricular function, functional status and quality of life. Recently, Cardioband has been used also in tricuspid position, with initial promising results.
KeywordsMitral Tricuspid Annuloplasty
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
F. Maisano is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Edwards Lifesciences, Abbott Vascular, Medtronic and Valtech and is the cofounder of and shareholder of 4Tech Cardio and receives royalties from Edwards Lifesciences. F. Nietlispach is a consultant for St Jude Medical, Medtronic and Edwards Lifesciences. The authors have no other relevant affiliations or financial involvement with any organization or entity with a financial interest in or financial conflict with the subject matter or materials discussed in the manuscript apart from those disclosed.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- 4.Maisano F, Taramasso M, Nickenig G, et al. Cardioband, a transcatheter surgical-like direct mitral valve annuloplasty system: early results of the feasibility trial. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:817–25.Google Scholar
- 5.Testa L, Latib A, Montone RA, Bedogni F. Transcatheter mitral annuloplasty in chronic functional mitral regurgitation. 6-month results with the cardioband percutaneous mitral repair system.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;152:319–27.Google Scholar
- 6.Taramasso M, Guidotti A, Cesarovic N, et al. Transcatheter direct mitralannuloplasty with Cardioband: feasibility and efficacy trial in an acute preclinical model. EuroIntervention. 2016;12:e1428–34.Google Scholar
- 7.TRI-REPAIR: 30-Day Outcomes of Transcatheter TV Repair in Patients With Severe Secondary Tricuspid Regurgitation [Internet]. TCTMD.com. [cited 2017 Nov 12]. Available from: http://www.tctmd.com/slide/tri-repair-30-day-outcomes-transcatheter-tv-repair-patients-severe-secondary-tricuspid.
- 8.Edwards Cardioband Transcatheter Valve Repair System: expanding options for patients [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 8]. Available from: https://www.pcronline.com/Cases-resources-images/Resources/Course-videos-slides/2017/Edwards-Cardioband-Transcatheter-Valve-Repair-System-expanding-options-for-patients.
- 9.Maisano F, Buzzatti N, Taramasso M, Ottavio A. Mitral TranscatheterTechnologies. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2013;4:e0015. Available from: http://www.rmmj.org.il/(S(rdwvey55d3hg32udqqav4qrb))/Pages/Article.aspx?manuId=270.
- 10.Wong VM, Wenk JF, Zhang Z, et al. The effect of mitral annuloplasty shape inischemic mitral regurgitation: a finite element simulation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012;93:776–82.Google Scholar
- 11.Maisano F, Taramasso M. The Cardioband transcatheter direct mitral valve annuloplasty system. EuroIntervention J Eur Collab Work Group Interv Cardiol Eur Soc Cardiol. 2015;11:W58-59.Google Scholar
- 12.Maisano F, Vanermen H, Seeburger J, et al. DDirect access transcathetermitral annuloplasty with a sutureless and adjustable device: preclinical experience. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012;42:524–9.Google Scholar
- 14.Maisano F, La Canna G, Latib A, et al. FFirst-in-man transseptal implantationof a “surgical-like” mitral valve annuloplasty device for functional mitral regurgitation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;7:1326–8.Google Scholar
- 15.Nickenig G, Hammerstingl C, Schueler R, et al. Transcatheter mitralannuloplasty in chronic functional mitral regurgitation. 6-month results with the cardioband percutaneous mitral repair system. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:2039–47.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Vahanian. Multicentre trial results of the transcather mitral valve repair system for functional mitral regurgitation. In PCR London Valves 2017. Available from: https://www.pcronline.com/Courses/PCR-London-Valves/PCR-London-Valves-2017/Programme/Scientific-programme/Percutaneous-mitral-valve-repair-early-and-long-term-outcomes/Multicentre-trial-results-of-the-transcatheter-mitral-valve-repair-system-for-functional-mitral-regurgitation?auth=true.
- 17.Al-Hijji M, Fender EA, El Sabbagh A, Holmes DR. Current treatment strategies for tricuspid regurgitation. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2017;19:106. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s11886-017-0920-4.
- 19.TRI-REPAIR: TrIcuspid Regurgitation RePAIr With CaRdiobandTranscatheter System - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 2]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02981953.
- 20.Rave J. Valcare Medical Home [Internet]. Valcare Medical. [cited 2017 Nov 18]. Available from: http://www.valcaremedical.com/.
- 21.Ted F, Mayra G, Michael S. Emerging technologies for direct and indirect percutaneous mitral annuloplasty. Eurointervention J Eurointervention J [Internet]. 2016 Sep 18 [cited 2017 Nov 18];12(Supplement Y). Available from: https://www.pcronline.com/eurointervention/Y_issue/volume-12/supplement-y/23/emerging-technologies-for-direct-and-indirect-percutaneous-mitral-annuloplasty.html.
- 23.Wan B, Rahnavardi M, Tian DH, et al. A meta-analysis of MitraClip system versus surgery for treatment of severe mitral regurgitation. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;2:683–92.Google Scholar