Transcriptome Analysis of Sugarcane Response to the Infection by Sugarcane Steak Mosaic Virus (SCSMV)
- 213 Downloads
Sugarcane streak mosaic virus (SCSMV) is one of the pathogens causing sugarcane mosaic disease (SMD). Transcriptome of a susceptible sugarcane cultivar challenged by SCSMV was studied by high-throughput, paired-end RNA sequencing. Overall, we obtained 63,025 unigenes, including 14,384 unigenes measuring more than 1 kb each. We annotated 38,505 unigenes with COG, GO, KEGG, KOG, Pfam, Swiss-Prot and Nr. We screened 4982 differently expressed genes (DEGs) including 3841 annotated DEGs, of which 3791 were up-regulated, and 50 were down-regulated. The expression of DEGs in the three KEGG pathways, unbiquitin proteolytic system, proteasome and translational pathways in endoplasmic reticulum (ER) was investigated in response to stress and unfolded protein response (UPR). Interestingly, the DEGs in the 3 pathways were up-regulated. We tested eight DEGs encoding proteins in response to ER stress and UPR. We found that these genes were up-regulated in sugarcane challenged by SCSMV. This study presented the first report of the sugarcane transcriptome following SCSMV infection. It sheds light on the genetic mechanisms in sugarcane in response to SCSMV infection.
KeywordsSugarcane SCSMV Transcriptome qRT-PCR
We are grateful to the financial support by National High-tech R&D Program of China (863 Program) (2013AA102604), National Natural Science Foundation (31371688) and the earmarked fund for the Modern Agriculture Technology of China (CARS-20-1-1).
MD and JX designed the research, analyze data and wrote the paper; GC, LP and QX performed the research; YY analyzed the data.
- Byun H, Ongqiang Gou Y, Zook A, Lozano MM, and Dudley JP (2015) ERAD and how viruses exploit it. The unfolded protein response in virus infections 78Google Scholar
- Chatenet M, Mazarin C, Girard J, Fernandez E, Gargani D, Rao G, Royer M, Lockhart B, Rott P (2005) Detection of sugarcane streak mosaic virus in sugarcane from several Asian countries. Sugar Cane International 23:12Google Scholar
- Deng Y, Li J, Wu S, Zhu Y, Chen Y, He F (2006) Integrated nr database in protein annotation system and its localization. Comput Eng 32:71–74Google Scholar
- Ellgaard L, Helenius A (2001) ER quality control: towards an understanding at the molecular level. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13:431–437Google Scholar
- Ellgaard L, Helenius A (2003) Quality control in the endoplasmic reticulum. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 4:181–191Google Scholar
- Fuchs E, and Grüntzig M (1995) Influence of sugarcane mosaic virus (SCMV) and maize dwarf mosaic virus (MDMV) on the growth and yield of two maize varieties/Einfluß des Zuckerrohrmosaik-Virus (sugarcane mosaic virus, SCMV) und des Maisverzwergungsmosaik-Virus (maize dwarf mosaic virus, MDMV) auf Wachstum und Ertrag von zwei Maissorten. Z Pflanzenkr Pflanzenschutz/J Plant Dis Prot, 44–50Google Scholar
- García-Marcos A, Pacheco R, Martiáñez J, González-Jara P, Díaz-Ruíz JR, Tenllado F (2009) Transcriptional changes and oxidative stress associated with the synergistic interaction between potato virus X and potato virus Y and their relationship with symptom expression. Mol Plant-Microbe Interact 22:1431–1444CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hashimoto M, Komatsu K, Iwai R, Keima T, Maejima K, Shiraishi T, Ishikawa K, Yoshida T, Kitazawa Y, Okano Y (2015) Cell death triggered by a putative amphipathic helix of radish mosaic virus helicase protein is tightly correlated with host membrane modification. Mol Plant-Microbe Interact 28:675–688CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ju H-J, Samuels TD, Wang Y-S, Blancaflor E, Payton M, Mitra R, Krishnamurthy K, Nelson RS, Verchot-Lubicz J (2005) The potato virus X TGBp2 movement protein associates with endoplasmic reticulum-derived vesicles during virus infection. Plant Physiol 138:1877–1895CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Liu Y, and Li J (2015). Endoplasmic reticulum-mediated protein quality control in Arabidopsis. Endoplasmic reticulum-shape and function in stress translation, 26Google Scholar
- Parmar VM, Schröder M (2012) "sensing endoplasmic reticulum stress," in self and Nonself. Springer, Berlin, pp. 153–168Google Scholar
- Ricaud C, Egan B, Gillaspie A, Hughes C (2012) Diseases of sugarcane: major diseases. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Rott P (2000) A guide to sugarcane diseases. Editions Quae, VersaillesGoogle Scholar
- Shi C, Ingvardsen C, Thümmler F, Melchinger AE, Wenzel G, Lübberstedt T (2005) Identification by suppression subtractive hybridization of genes that are differentially expressed between near-isogenic maize lines in association with sugarcane mosaic virus resistance. Mol Gen Genomics 273:450–461CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Viswanathan R, Balamurakrishnan M, Karuppaiah R (2007) Sugarcane mosaic in India: a cause of combined infection of sugarcane mosaic virus and sugarcane streak mosaic virus. Sugar Cane International 25:2Google Scholar