Identification of high-efficiency SSR markers for assessing watermelon genetic purity
- 92 Downloads
Genomic simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers were used to fingerprint and determine genetic similarity (GS) of the watermelon breeding lines, as well as the purity of their hybrid derivatives. Cluster analysis and Jaccard’s distance coefficients using the unweighted pair group method with arithmetic mean (UPGMA) have classified these lines into three major groups. Notwithstanding, the genetic background of these lines is narrow as revealed by the restricted GS coefficients. Fifty-five sets of SSR markers were employed in this study. Fourteen of these markers were polymorphic between the breeding lines and were used for assessing hybrid purity. Cross-checking assay validated nine SSR markers as informative SSR markers for purity detection of these hybrids. To confirm the accuracy and efficiency of these markers, their derived PCR products were further sequenced, and ClSSR09643, ClSSR18153 and ClSSR01623 were selected as high-efficiency SSR markers. Interestingly, SSR markers ClSSR09643 and ClSSR18153 were broadly applied for purity detection of more than two different hybrids, while SSR marker ClSSR01623 behaved as a specific marker for purity detection in this study. Genetic purity of six commercial watermelon hybrids was definitely evaluated using these SSR markers. Genetic purity of all tested hybrids exceeded 96% while the field purity was above 98%. Genetic purity test was an emergency for identifying off-types and selfed female in a lot of hybrid seeds. Here, we elucidated the potential of nine SSR markers including three with higher breeding selection efficiency. We recommended them to seed company for purity improvement of watermelon commercial hybrid varieties.
Keywordshybrid purity GOT genetic purity SSR markers watermelon
We are thankful to the Chinese leaders for establishing and promoting Talents projects in Jiangsu Province and Suqian city. This work is supported by the funding from two talent projects ‘2017 Jiangsu province Entrepreneurial innovation talent program’ and ‘2017 Suqian city Entrepreneurial innovation leading talent program’.
- Bo K., Ma Z., Chen J. and Weng Y. 2015 Molecular mapping reveals structural rearrangements and quantitative trait loci underlying traits with local adaptation in semi-wild Xishuangbanna cucumber (Cucumis sativus L. var. xishuangbannanesis Qi et Yuan). Theor. Appl. Genet. 128, 25–39.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Che K. P., Liang C. Y., Wang Y. G., Jin D. M. and Wang B. 2003 Genetic assessment of watermelon germplasm using the AFLP technique. Hort. Sci. 38, 81–84.Google Scholar
- Ding Q. Y. and Zhang X. 2005 Application of molecular marker technique in watermelon and melon. J. Fruit Sci. 03. 271–275.Google Scholar
- Guo S. G., Zhang J. G., Sun H. H., Jerome S., William J. L. and Zhang H. Y. 2013 The draft genome of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) and resequencing of 20 diverse accessions. 45. Nat. Genet. 1. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.2470.
- Jaccard P. 1908 Nouvelles recherché sur la distribution florale. Bull. de la SociétéVaudoise des Sci. Naturelles 44, 223–270 (In French).Google Scholar
- Levi A.,Wechter W. P., Davis A. R., Katzir N., Tadmor K., Ling K. et al 2007 Interspecific transferability of watermelon EST-SSR markers in cucurbit species. HortScience 42, 1012.Google Scholar
- Levi A., Thies J. A., Wechter W. P., Harrison H. F., Simmons A. M., Reddy U. K. et al 2013 High frequency oligonucleotides: targeting active gene (HFO-TAG) markers revealed wide genetic diversity among Citrullus spp. accessions useful for enhancing disease or pest resistance in watermelon cultivars. Genet. Resour. Crop. Evol. 60, 427–440.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li C. H., Liu L., Liu X., Zhu L. H., Song R. H., Yang H. J. et al 2015 Seed purity detection and distinctiveness analysis of 5 new watermelon hybrid varieties on SSR markers. CASB 31, 177–185.Google Scholar
- Li M. W., Li Z. W., Kong L. C., Wang S. K. and Yao X. F. 2009 Breeding of watermelon hybrid variety ’HuamiGuanlong’. China Cucurbits & Vegetables 22, 16–18.Google Scholar
- Li X. H., Wang C. Y. and Chang Z. 2008 Development of molecular markers technique application on genetic breeding of watermelon. Henan Science, http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-HNKX200805017.htm.
- Liu Q. H., Wang F. R., Zhang J., Yang J., Li R. Z. and Wang Z. W. 2003 Purity detection of Lumianyan 15 hybrid with SSR markers. Shandong Agric. Sci., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-AGRI200302002.htm.
- Liu J. L., Zhou S. C., Song X. H. and Wang J. S. 2006 Purity test of Melon hybrid with SSR molecular markers. Mol. Plant Breed., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-FZZW2006S2005.htm.
- Liu L. W., Hou X. L., Gong Y. Q., Zhang Y. M., Wang K. R. and Zheng J. F. 2004 Application of molecular marker in variety identification and purity testing in vegetable crops. Mol. Plant Breed., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-GSNK201705021.htm.
- Ma D. W., Gao S. Z. and Wang Z. J. 1986 A study on peroxidase isozymes in Cucumis melo L. J. Agric. Univ. Hebei, http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=CN8601305.
- Mei M. and Lu L. 2005 Application of DNA molecular markers technique on quality testing of crop seed. Mol. Plant Breed., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-FZZW200501027.htm.
- Miao R. Y., Yue Q., Zhi H. Y., Ma H. L. and Liang Y. P. 2010 A new F1 hybrid watermelon – Jinkang Zaoguan. China Cucurbits Vegetable, 10, http://xueshu.baidu.com/s?wd=paperuri.
- Ouyang X. X., Xu Y., Zhang H. Y., Kang G. B. and Wang Y. J. 1999 Rapid identification of hybrid purity in watermelon using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD). J. Agric. Biotechnol, http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-NYSB199901004.htm.
- Rohlf F. J. 2000 NTSYS-pc: Numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system-version 2.10b. Applied Biostatistics Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Zhang X., Wang M., Zhang J. and Jianqiang A. Y. 2002 The new watermelon F1 hybrid variety‘Hongguanlong’. Acta Horticulturae Sinica, http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-YYXB200201024.htm.
- Zhang X. P. and Wang M. 1989 Isozyme analysis of hybrids and their parents on watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thanb.) Mansf. J. Fruit Sci., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-GSKK198902005.htm.
- Zhu H. Y., Song P. Y., Koo D. H., Guo L. Q., Li Y. M., Sun S. R. et al 2016a Genome wide characterization of simple sequence repeats in watermelon genome and their application in comparative mapping and genetic diversity analysis. BMC Genomics 17, 557. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-016-2870-4.
- Zhu L., Wu L. and Tong G. 1992 Study on the peroxidase isozymes of watermelon hybrids and their parents. J. Anhui Agric. Univ., http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-ANHU199204003.htm.