Association mapping and favourable QTL alleles for fibre quality traits in Upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.)
- 7 Downloads
Improving cotton fibre quality is a major breeding goal for Upland cotton in China. To investigate the genetic mechanisms of fibre quality, a diverse panel of 403 Upland cotton accessions was grown, and the fibre quality traits were measured in six different environments. Genotyping was performed with genomewide simple sequence repeats. A total of 201 markers were polymorphic and generated 394 allele loci, and 403 accessions were arranged into two subgroups using Structure software. Of the marker loci, 18.94% showed significant linkage disequilibrium (\(P< 0.05\)). A mixed linear model in association mapping showed that 51 associations were significant between 39 polymorphic loci and five fibre quality traits, according to best linear unbiased prediction, and in at least three of six environments. Of the 39 associated marker loci, 12 were coincident with previous studies. There were 41 typical accessions identified as containing favourable allele loci related to fibre quality traits. The identified favourable QTL alleles and typical accessions for fibre quality are excellent genetic resources for future cotton breeding in China.
KeywordsUpland cotton fibre quality association mapping favourable allele Gossypium hirsutum L
This programme was financially supported by The National Natural Science Foundation of China (31260340). We thank Fang Lei, Zeng Yanda, and Wang Qun from Nanjing Agricultural University for help with analysis.
- Abdurakhmonov I. Y., Saha S., Jenkins J. N., Buriev Z. T., Shermatov S. E., Scheffler B. E. et al. 2009 Linkage disequilibrium based association mapping of fiber quality traits in G. hirsutum L. variety germplasm. Genetica 136, 401–417.Google Scholar
- Jiao G. J., Sun J. L., He S. P., Yang X. D. and Du X. M. 2014 Variation trends of main characters of upland cotton varieties in China during 1978–2007. Chin. Agric. Sci. Bull. 30, 112–119.Google Scholar
- Lacape J. M., Gawrysiak G., Cao T. V., Viot C., Llewellyn D., Liu S. et al. 2013 Mapping QTLs for traits related to phenology, morphology and yield components in an inter-specific Gossypium hirsutum \(\times \) G. barbadense cotton RIL population. Field. Crops. Res. 144, 256–267.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li X. S. and Chen Z. Z. 2010 Correctly using SPSS software for principal components analysis. Stat. Res. 27, 105–108.Google Scholar
- Pritchard J. K., Wen X. and Falush D. 2009 Documentation for structure software: version 2.3. Available at: http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html (last accessed on 5 December 2015).
- Qin Y. S., Ye W. X., Liu R. Z., Zhang T. Z. and Guo W. Z. 2009b QTL mapping for fiber quality properties in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Sci. Agric. Sin. 42, 4145–4154.Google Scholar
- Saeed M., Guo W. Z. and Zhang T. Z. 2014 Association mapping for salinity tolerance in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) germplasm from US and diverse regions of China. Aust. J. Crop Sci. 8, 338–346.Google Scholar
- Shen X. L., Guo W. Z., Zhu X. F., Yuan Y. L., Yu J. Z., Kohel R. J. et al. 2005 Molecular mapping of QTLs for fiber qualities in three diverse lines in Upland cotton using SSR markers. Mol. Breed. 15, 169–181.Google Scholar
- Song M. Z., Yu S. X., Fan S. L., Ruan R. and Huang Z. M. 2005 Genetic analysis of main agronomic traits in short season upland cotton (G. hirsutum L.). Cotton Sci. 17, 94–98.Google Scholar
- Wang Y. Q., Li J. W., Shi Y. Z., Liu A. Y., Shan H. H., Gong J. W. et al. 2010 Molecular marker of QTL for fiber quality traits in upland cotton with elite fiber quality. Cotton Sci. 22, 533–538.Google Scholar
- Yang X. H., Yan J. B., Zheng Y. P., Yu J. M. and Li J. S. 2007 Reviews of association analysis for quantitative traits in plants. Acta Agron. Sin. 33, 523–530.Google Scholar
- Yu J. W., Zhang K., Li S. Y., Yu S. X., Zhai H. H., Wu M. et al. 2013a Mapping quantitative trait loci for lint yield and fiber quality across environments in a Gossypium hirsutum \(\times \) Gossypium barbadense backcross inbred line population. Theor. Appl. Genet. 126, 275–287.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang J., Ma J., Chen X., Liu D. J. and Zhang Z. S. 2011 QTL mapping of fiber quality traits with a composite cross population in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). J. Agric. Biotech. 19, 230–235.Google Scholar
- Zhang T. Z., Hu Y., Jiang W. K., Fang L., Guan X. Y., Chen J. D. et al. 2015 Sequencing of allotetraploid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L. acc. TM-1) provides a resource for fiber improvement. Nat. Biotech. 33, 531–537.Google Scholar