Inhibition of Astrocyte Connexin 43 Channels Facilitates the Differentiation of Oligodendrocyte Precursor Cells Under Hypoxic Conditions In Vitro
- 59 Downloads
Oligodendrocyte precursor cells (OPCs) proliferation and differentiation are essential for remyelination after white matter injury. Astrocytes could promote oligodendrogenesis after white matter damage whereas the underlying mechanisms are unknown. In this study, the role of astrocytic connexin43 (Cx43) hemichannels involved in OPC proliferation and differentiation in chronic hypoxia was evaluated. In an astrocyte-OPC co-culture chronic hypoxia model, OPCs became proliferative but failed to mature into oligodendrocytes. Application of astrocytic Cx43 blockers attenuated astrocyte activation, suppressed Cx43 hemichannel uptake activity and glutamate release induced by hypoxia, as well as improved OPC differentiation. Moreover, AMPA but not NMDA glutamate receptor antagonist rescued OPC differentiation in hypoxia. In conclusion, these findings suggested that astrocytic Cx43 hemichannel inhibition could potentially improve OPC maturation by attenuating AMPAR-mediated glutamate signaling. Astrocytic Cx43 hemichannels could serve as a potential therapeutic target for remyelination after chronic hypoxia.
KeywordsAstrocyte Oligodendrocyte precursor cells Oligodendrocyte Connexin43 Glutamate Hypoxia
The investigation was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81571113, 61327902), the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (IRT_14R20), and grant from the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2017KFYXJJ097), the Huazhong University of Science and Technology “Double Top” Construction Pro-ject of International Cooperation (grant 540-5001540013). Acknowledgements to Jia Li, Li Xu, and Xiaojiang Huang in contribution in preliminary data collections.
- Deng W, Rosenberg PA, Volpe JJ, Jensen FE (2003) Calcium-permeable AMPA/kainate receptors mediate toxicity and preconditioning by oxygen-glucose deprivation in oligodendrocyte precursors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:6801–6806. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1136624100 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Deng W, Neve RL, Rosenberg PA, Volpe JJ, Jensen FE (2006) Alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazole propionate receptor subunit composition and cAMP-response element-binding protein regulate oligodendrocyte excitotoxicity. J Biol Chem 281:36004–36011. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M606459200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dohare P, Zia MT, Ahmed E, Ahmed A, Yadala V, Schober AL, Ortega JA, Kayton R, Ungvari Z, Mongin AA, Ballabh P (2016) AMPA-Kainate receptor inhibition promotes neurologic recovery in premature rabbits with intraventricular hemorrhage. J Neurosci 36:3363–3377. https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.4329-15.2016 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Follett PL, Deng W, Dai W, Talos DM, Massillon LJ, Rosenberg PA, Volpe JJ, Jensen FE (2004) Glutamate receptor-mediated oligodendrocyte toxicity in periventricular leukomalacia: a protective role for topiramate. J Neurosci 24:4412–4420. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0477-04.2004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Girard C, Bemelmans AP, Dufour N, Mallet J, Bachelin C, Nait-Oumesmar B, Baron-van Evercooren A, Lachapelle F (2005) Grafts of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin 3-transduced primate Schwann cells lead to functional recovery of the demyelinated mouse spinal cord. J Neurosci 25:7924–7933. https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.4890-04.2005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kato S, Aoyama M, Kakita H, Hida H, Kato I, Ito T, Goto T, Hussein MH, Sawamoto K, Togari H, Asai K (2011) Endogenous erythropoietin from astrocyte protects the oligodendrocyte precursor cell against hypoxic and reoxygenation injury. J Neurosci Res 89:1566–1574. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.22702 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kougioumtzidou E, Shimizu T, Hamilton NB, Tohyama K, Sprengel R, Monyer H, Attwell D, Richardson WD (2017) Signalling through AMPA receptors on oligodendrocyte precursors promotes myelination by enhancing oligodendrocyte survival. eLife 6:e28080. https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.28080.001 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Miyamoto N, Maki T, Shindo A, Liang AC, Maeda M, Egawa N, Itoh K, Lo EK, Lok J, Ihara M, Arai K (2015) Astrocytes promote Oligodendrogenesis after white matter damage via brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurosci 35:14002–14008. https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.1592-15.2015 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Schulz R, Gorge PM, Gorbe A, Ferdinandy P, Lampe PD, Leybaert L (2015) Connexin 43 is an emerging therapeutic target in ischemia/reperfusion injury, cardioprotection and neuroprotection. Pharmacol Ther 153:90–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2015.06.005 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shindo A, Liang AC, Maki T, Miyamoto N, Tomimoto H, Lo EH, Arai K (2016) Subcortical ischemic vascular disease: roles of oligodendrocyte function in experimental models of subcortical white-matter injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 36:187–198. https://doi.org/10.1038/jcbfm.2015.80 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tress O, Maglione M, May D, Pivneva T, Richter N, Seyfarth J, Binder S, Zlomuzica A, Seifert G, Theis M, Dere E, Kettenmann H, Willecke K (2012) Panglial gap junctional communication is essential for maintenance of myelin in the CNS. J Neurosci 32:7499–7518. https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.0392-12.2012 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xie M, Yi C, Luo X, Xu S, Yu Z, Tang Y, Zhu W, Du Y, Jia L, Zhang Q, Dong Q, Zhu W, Zhang X, Bu B, Wang W (2011) Glial gap junctional communication involvement in hippocampal damage after middle cerebral artery occlusion. Ann Neurol 70:121–132. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.22386
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.