Molecular Cloning, Expression, and Characterization of Cathepsin L from Mud Loach (Misgurnus mizolepis)
- 188 Downloads
Cathepsin L is an important protease in the initiation of protein degradation and one of the most powerful endopeptidases. In this study, we cloned mud loach (Misgurnus mizolepis) cathepsin L (MlCtL) cDNA, and the pro-mature enzyme of MlCtL (proMlCtL) was expressed in Escherichia coli as a fusion protein with glutathione S-transferase in a pGEX-4 T-1 vector. The recombinant proMlCtL was overexpressed in E. coli DH5αMCR as a 62-kDa protein. Its activity was quantified by measuring the cleavage of synthetic fluorogenic peptide substrates, and the protease activity of proMlCtL was also demonstrated by gelatin zymography. Antipain and leupeptin were shown to inhibit the protease activity of proMlCtL. Our results suggest that the structural features and evolutionary relationship of the mud loach cathepsin L gene were similar to that of the other mammalian cathepsin Ls; however, the proMlCtL protein was more stable at neutral and alkaline pH. The optimum temperature for the proMlCtL enzyme was found to be 40 °C. In addition, proMlCtL activity was dependent upon the presence of several metal ions and detergents.
KeywordsCysteine protease Cathepsin L Glutathione S-transferase (GST)-fusion protein Mud loach (Misgurnus mizolepis) Zymography
This research was supported by a project grant (YSG-RE0602) from Yeongnam Sea Grant, Korea.
- 6.Cassia, R. O., Martone, C. B., & Sánchez, J. J. (2000). Latin American Applied Research, 30, 241–244.Google Scholar
- 8.Ledward, D. A., & Lawrie, R. A. (1984). Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 34B, 223–228.Google Scholar
- 9.Rao, J. R., Mahendrakar, N. S., Chakrabarty, N. M., & Raghavan, S. L. (1996). Seafood Export Journal, 27, 17–23.Google Scholar
- 15.Turk, B., Turk, D., & Turk, V. (2000). Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1477, 98–111.Google Scholar
- 18.Kirschke, H., & Barrett, A. J. (1987). Academic Press, pp. 193–238.Google Scholar
- 21.Masaki, T., Shimomukai, M., Miyauchi, Y., Ono, S., Tuchiya, T., Mastuda, T., et al. (1993). Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 59, 683–690.Google Scholar
- 25.Hall, T. A. (1999). Nucleic Acids Symposium, 41, 95–98.Google Scholar
- 28.Laemmli, U. K. (1970). Nature, 227, 680–685.Google Scholar
- 43.Petanceska, S., & Devi, L. (1992). The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 267, 26038–26043.Google Scholar