Early Integration of Advance Care Planning (ACP) into Cirrhosis Care: Why We Need It
- 61 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Patients with cirrhosis are largely unaware of the disease trajectory. This review emphasizes the importance of early advance care planning (ACP) and provides practitioners with a framework to apply these concepts.
Literature is arising describing the importance of ACP and application of palliative principles (symptom management, quality of life, social, spiritual, and emotional care) in cirrhosis care. Understanding illness trajectories can promote symptom control, promote appropriate location of care, and ease care transitions. Our group of practitioners has spent time reviewing literature on ACP and has published tools to educate patients, surrogates, and health practitioners regarding the importance of these principles. In addition, work is ongoing to integrate this very important aspect of care into the daily practice of practitioners who managed end-stage-liver disease.
Early ACP and integration of palliative principles into cirrhosis care is critical. Provided is an action plan for implementing early ACP into end-stage liver disease (ESLD) care.
KeywordsAdvance care planning Cirrhosis End-stage-liver disease Palliative care Personal directives
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Amanda Brisebois and Puneeta Tandon each declare no conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.UNOS Donate Life America Statistics. http://donatelife.net/understanding-donation/statistics/. Last Accessed 30 Dec 2017.
- 3.• Larson A. Palliative Care for Patients with End-Stage Liver Disease. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2015;17(5):440. Review on palliative needs of and crucial conversations to take place for ESLD patients, discussing end of life issues and integrating in this patient population. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.• Poonja Z, Brisebois A, van Zanten, SV, Tandon P, Meeberg G, Karvellas CJ. Patients with cirrhosis and denied liver transplants rarely receive adequate palliative care or appropriate management. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;12(4):692–698. Highly cited retrospective study on utilization of palliative care and symptom burden in inpatient delisted patients with ESLD. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2013.08.027.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.WHO Organization. WHO definition of Palliative Care. http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en/. Last accessed 17 Jan 2018.
- 8.•• Brisebois A, Ismond K, et al. Advance Care Planning (ACP) for specialists managing cirrhosis: a focus on patient-centered care. Baltimore: Wiley; 2017. Overview of ACP and GCD specifically in cirrhosis patients, with practical figures for use in various care settings. Google Scholar
- 10.Sudore RL, Fried TR. Redefining the “planning” in advance care planning: preparing for end-of-life decision making. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153(4):256–61. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-153-4-201008170-00008.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.• Advance Care Planning: Conversations Matter - My Health AlbertaAlberta Health Services. Alberta. Canada. https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/Pages/advance-care-planning-conversation-matters.aspx. Last accessed 10 Jan 2018. On-line resource to explain ACP process.
- 13.El-Jawahri A, Mitchell S, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a CPR and intubation video decision support tool for hospitalized patients. J Gen Intern Med. 30(8):1071–80.Google Scholar
- 14.• Yeh J, Cheng J, et al. Using a question prompt list As a communication aid in advanced cancer. Care J Oncol. 2014;10(3):E137–42.Google Scholar
- 17.• Kim DJ, Choi MS. Life-sustaining treatment and palliative care in patients with liver cirrhosis—legal, ethical, and practical issues. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2017;23(2):115–22 Insight into levels of care appropriate at various stages of cirrhosis care and when to involve palliative services. https://doi.org/10.3350/cmh.2017.0018.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.US Department of Health and Human Services. Advanced Directives and Advance Care Planning. http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/2008/ADCongRpt.htm. Accessed 20 Dec 2017.
- 23.• Walling A, Ahluwalia S, et al. Palliative care quality indicators for patients with end-stage liver disease due to cirrhosis. Asch Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:84–92. Updated panel review of evidence-based quality indicators for when ACP discussions should be undertaken, and comments on which QI have evidence based on symptom management. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Mendis R, Soo WK, Zannino D, Michael N, Spruyt O. Multidisciplinary Prognostication Using the Palliative Prognostic Score in an Australian Cancer Center. Palliat Care: Res Treat. 2015:7–14.Google Scholar
- 35.Conservative Kidney Management, Alberta Canada. http://www.ckmcare.com/AboutPathwayPages. Last accessed 14 Jan 2018.
- 47.•• Dingfield LE, Kayser JB. Integrating advance care planning into practice. Chest. 2017;151(6):1387–93. Key: Review outlining important factors in integrating ACP into practice in a non-cancer setting. Google Scholar
- 49.• Facilitating Advance Care Planning: An Inter-professional Educational Program Curriculum Materials. http://www.advancecareplanning.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/acp-curriculum-module_2008.pdf. Last accessed 8 Jan 2018. Key resources for ACP education for patients and practitioners.
- 50.Prepare Program. https://prepareforyourcare.org/prepare/0-1-1. Last accessed 8 Jan 2018.