Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of Microwave Sintered Cu50Ti50 Amorphous Alloy Reinforced Al Metal Matrix Composites
In the present work, Al metal matrix composites reinforced with Cu-based (Cu50Ti50) amorphous alloy particles synthesized by ball milling followed by a microwave sintering process were studied. The amorphous powders of Cu50Ti50 produced by ball milling were used to reinforce the aluminum matrix. They were examined by x-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), microhardness and compression testing. The analysis of XRD patterns of the samples containing 5 vol.%, 10 vol.% and 15 vol.% Cu50Ti50 indicates the presence of Al and Cu50Ti50 peaks. SEM images of the sintered composites show the uniform distribution of reinforced particles within the matrix. Mechanical properties of the composites were found to increase with an increasing volume fraction of Cu50Ti50 reinforcement particles. The hardness and compressive strength were enhanced to 89 Hv and 449 MPa, respectively, for the Al-15 vol.% Cu50Ti50 composites.
This publication was made possible by NPRP Grant 7–159-2-076 from the Qatar National Research Fund (a member of the Qatar Foundation). Statements made herein are solely the responsibility of the authors.
- 11.N. Srikanth, L.K. Hoong, and M. Gupta, J. Mater. Sci. 16, 4173 (2015).Google Scholar
- 21.M.P. Reddy, F. Ubaid, A. Shakoor, A.M.A. Mohamed, W. Madhuri, and J. Sci, Adv. Mater. Dev. 1, 362 (2016).Google Scholar
- 24.D. Chaira, B.K. Mishra, and S. Sangal, Synthesis of silicon carbide by reaction milling in a dual-drive planetary mill (Englewood: Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc., 2007), pp. 253–265.Google Scholar
- 25.M.S. Al-Assiri, A. Alolah, A. Al-Hajry, and M. Bououdina, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci. 18, 241 (2008).Google Scholar
- 27.D. Neelima, C. Mahesh, and V. lvaraj, Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. 1, 793 (2011).Google Scholar
- 29.W.D. Callister and D.G. Rethwisch, Materials science and engineering: an introduction, 2nd ed. (New York: Wiley, 2007).Google Scholar