Integration of Heat Treatment with Shot Peening of 17-4 Stainless Steel Fabricated by Direct Metal Laser Sintering
- 256 Downloads
Direct metal laser sintering (DMLS) is a promising powder-based additive manufacturing process for fabrication of near-net-shape parts. However, the typically poor fatigue performance of DMLS parts must be addressed for use in demanding industrial applications. Post-treatment can be applied to enhance the performance of such components. Earlier attempts at inducing grain refinement through severe plastic deformation of part surfaces using shot peening improved the physical and mechanical properties of metals without chemical alteration. However, heat treatment can modify the surface-hardening effects attained by shot peening. Hence, we examined the feasibility of applying shot peening combined with heat treatment to improve the performance of DMLS-fabricated 17-4 stainless steel parts through microstructural evolution studies and hardness measurements. Compared to a specimen treated only by shot peening, the sample exposed to additional heat treatment showed increased hardness due to aging of the dominant phase.
The authors thank Stratasys Direct Manufacturing for providing the shot-peened DMLS samples. Bandar AlMangour also thanks the Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) for their financial support.
- 3.M. Baumers, C. Tuck, R. Wildman, I. Ashcroft, E. Rosamond, and R. Hague, Proc. Annu. Int. Solid Freeform Fabr. Symp. Addit. Manuf. Conf. 23, 934 (2012).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Gu, H. Gong, D. Pal, K. Rafi, T. Starr, and B. Stucker, Proc. Annu. Int. Solid Freeform Fabr. Symp. Addit. Manuf. Conf. 24, 274 (2013).Google Scholar
- 10.T.L. Starr, K. Rafi, B. Stucker, and C.M. Scherzer, Proc. Annu. Int. Solid Freeform Fabr. Symp. Addit. Manuf. Conf. 23, 195 (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Gratton, Proc. Natl. Conf. Undergrad. Res. 2012, 423 (2012).Google Scholar
- 27.N. Karapatis, Y. Guidoux, P. Gygax, and R. Glardon, Proc. Annu. Int. Solid Freeform Fabr. Symp. Addit. Manuf. Conf. 8, 79 (1998).Google Scholar
- 34.D. Cai, P. Nie, J. Shan, W. Liu, M. Yao, and Y. Yao, J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 614–7, 15 (2006).Google Scholar