Time-domain wavefield reconstruction inversion
- 31 Downloads
Wavefield reconstruction inversion (WRI) is an improved full waveform inversion theory that has been proposed in recent years. WRI method expands the searching space by introducing the wave equation into the objective function and reconstructing the wavefield to update model parameters, thereby improving the computing efficiency and mitigating the influence of the local minimum. However, frequency-domain WRI is difficult to apply to real seismic data because of the high computational memory demand and requirement of time-frequency transformation with additional computational costs. In this paper, wavefield reconstruction inversion theory is extended into the time domain, the augmented wave equation of WRI is derived in the time domain, and the model gradient is modified according to the numerical test with anomalies. The examples of synthetic data illustrate the accuracy of time-domain WRI and the low dependency of WRI on low-frequency information.
KeywordsWavefield reconstruction waveform inversion augmented wave equation timedomain inversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to SWPI laboratory staff for their support and providing use of Matlab software. We also wish to thank Zhang Hua and Yuan San-Yi for their constructive comments.
- De Hoop, A. T., 1960, A modification of Cagniard’s method for solving seismic pulse problems: Applied Scientific Research, Section B, 8(1), 349–356.Google Scholar
- Fang, Z., and Herrmann, F., 2015, Source estimation for wavefield reconstruction Inversion: 77th Annual International Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, 1854–1857.Google Scholar
- Moghaddam, P. P., and Mulder, W. A., 2012, The diagonalator: inverse data space full waveform inversion: SEG Technical Program, Expanded Abstracts, 1–6.Google Scholar
- Mosegaard, K., and Tarantola, A., 1995, Monte Carlo sampling of solutions to inverse problems: Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 100(B7), 12431–12447.Google Scholar
- Mulder, W. A., and Hak, B., 2009, Simultaneous imaging of velocity and attenuation perturbations from seismic data is nearly impossible: 71th Conference & Technical Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, S043.Google Scholar
- Peters, B., Herrmann, F. J., and Van, L. T., 2014, Waveequation Based Inversion with the Penalty Method-Adjoint-state Versus Wavefield-reconstruction Inversion: 76th Annual International Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, 3002–3005.Google Scholar
- Plessix, R. E., 2006, A review of the adjoint-state method for computing the gradient of a functional with geophysical applications: Geophysical Journal International, 167(2), 495–503.Google Scholar
- Pratt, R. G., 1999, Seismic waveform inversion in the frequency domain, Part 1: Theory and verification in a physical scale model: Geophysics, 64(3), 888–901.Google Scholar
- Pratt, R. G., Shin C., and Hick, G. J., 1998, Gauss–Newton and full Newton methods in frequency–space seismic waveform inversion: Geophysical Journal International, 133(2), 341–362.Google Scholar
- Shen, P., and Symes, W. W., 2008, Automatic velocity analysis via shot profile migration: Geophysics, 73(5), VE49–VE59.Google Scholar
- Shin, C., and Cha, Y. H., 2009, Waveform inversion in the Laplace—Fourier domain: Geophysical Journal International, 177(3), 1067–1079.Google Scholar
- Tarantola, A., 1984, Inversion of seismic reflection data in the acoustic approximation: Geophysics, 49(8), 1259–1266.Google Scholar
- Tarantola, A., and Valette, B., 1982, Generalized nonlinear inverse problems solved using the least squares criterion: Reviews of Geophysics, 20(2), 219–232.Google Scholar
- van Leeuwen, T., and Herrmann, F. J., 2013, Mitigating local minima in full-waveform inversion by expanding the search space: Geophysical Journal International, 195(1), 661–667.Google Scholar
- van Leeuwen, T., Herrmann, F. J., and Peters, B., 2010, A new take on FWI: Wavefield reconstruction inversion: 76th Annual International Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, 2651–2654.Google Scholar
- van Leeuwen, T., and Mulder, W. A., 2010, A correlationbased misfit criterion for wave-equation traveltime tomography: Geophysical Journal International, 182(3), 1383–1394.Google Scholar
- Virieux, J., and Operto, S., 2009, An overview of fullwaveform inversion in exploration geophysics: Geophysics, 74(6), WCC1–WCC26.Google Scholar