Is there a prospect for hybrid aortic arch surgery?
- 44 Downloads
The surge of endovascular repair of aortic aneurysm in current modern aortic surgery practice has been the key for surgical management of elective cases of thoracic aortic aneurysms. This has paved way for the combined hybrid approach to be amongst the armamentarium for the management of aortic arch disease. The pivotal understanding of the aortic arch natural history coupled with device technology advancement allowed surgeons insight into delivery of hybrid surgery with acceptable morbidity and mortality results. This review article provides current insights into hybrid technique of aortic arch aneurysm repair and the evidences behind its applicability to arch surgery. It is aimed to highlight the challenges encountered for this innovative approach and correlate its challenges to those that are met by the conventional open aortic arch repair.
KeywordsAortic surgery Aortic arch Hybrid Endovascular Arch aneurysm
- 1.De Bakey ME, Crawford ES, Cooley DA, Morris GC Jr. Successful resection of fusiform aneurysm of aortic arch with replacement by homograft. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1957;105(6):657–64.Google Scholar
- 4.Volodos NL, Karpovich IP, Troyan VI, Kalashnikova YuV, Shekhanin VE, Ternyuk NE, et al. Clinical experience of the use of self-fixing synthetic prostheses for remote endoprosthetics of the thoracic and the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries through the femoral artery and as intraoperative endoprosthesis for aorta reconstruction. Vasa Suppl. 1991;33:93–5.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Czerny M, Schmidli J, Carrel T, Grimm M. Hybrid aortic arch repair. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;2(3):372–7. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2225-319X.2013.03.05.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Vallabhajosyula P, Szeto W, Desai N, Bavaria JE. Type I and Type II hybrid aortic arch replacement: postoperative and mid-term outcome analysis. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;2(3):280–7. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2225-319X.2013.05.09.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Milewski RK, Szeto WY, Pochettino A, Moser GW, Moeller P, Bavaria JE. Have hybrid procedures replaced open aortic arch reconstruction in high-risk patients? A comparative study of elective open arch debranching with endovascular stent graft placement and conventional elective open total and distal aortic arch reconstruction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140(3):590–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar