Transapical approach in transcatheter cardiovascular interventions
- 150 Downloads
The left ventricular apex has excellent accessibility to the aortic valve, mitral valve, left ventricular outflow tract and thoracic aorta. Although the number of transapical approach in transcatheter aortic valve replacement has been decreasing in recent years, it is still a useful option for patients with very poor peripheral vascular access. The apex has been chosen as a primary access site for many devices of transcatheter mitral valve repair/replacement and mitral valve-in-valve procedures. Additionally, the transapical approach has been used for other transcatheter cardiovascular interventions such as paravalvular leak repair after mitral or aortic valve replacement, pseudoaneurysm repair of the left ventricular outflow tract, and thoracic endovascular aortic repair. Herein, I review our own experience and articles of the transapical transcatheter cardiovascular interventions and discuss about clinical usability, technical tips and complications of the transapical approach in various transcatheter cardiovascular interventions.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Minoru Tabata serves as a consultant to Edwards Lifesciences and Medtronic.
- 2.Lichtenstein SV, Cheung A, Ye J, Thompson CR, Carere RG, Pasupati S, et al. Transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation in humans. Initial Clin Exp Circ. 2006;114:591–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Blackstone EH, Suri RM, Rajeswaran J, Babaliaros V, Douglas PS, Fearon WF, et al. Propensity-matched comparisons of clinical outcomes after transapical or transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a placement of aortic transcatheter valves (PARTNER)-I trial substudy. Circulation. 2015;131:1989–2000.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.D’Onofrio A, Salizzoni S, Filippini C, Agrifoglio M, Alfieri O, Chieffo A, et al. Transapical aortic valve replacement is a safe option in patients with poor left ventricular ejection fraction: results from the Italian Transcatheter Balloon-Expandable Registry (ITER). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017;52:874–80.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Börgermann J, Holzhey DM, Thielmann M, Girdauskas E, Schroefel H, Hofmann S, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation using the ACURATE TA™ system: 1-year outcomes and comparison of 500 patients from the SAVI registries. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017;51:936–42.CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cerillo AG, Gasbarri T, Celi S, Murzi M, Trianni G, Ravani M, et al. Transapical transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation for failed mitral bioprostheses: gradient, symptoms, and functional status in 18 high-risk patients up to 5 years. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016;102:1289–95.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Seeburger J, Rinaldi M, Nielsen SL, Salizzoni S, Lange R, Schoenburg M, et al. Off-pump transapical implantation of artificial neo-chordae to correct mitral regurgitation: the TACT Trial (Transapical Artificial Chordae Tendinae) proof of concept. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:914–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Katada Y, Ito J, Shibayama K, Nakatsuka D, Kawano Y, Watanabe H, et al. Transapical Transcatheter Closure of the Pseudoaneurysm in the Left Ventricular Outflow Tract After Aortic Valve Replacement. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 20166;9:e181-3.Google Scholar