Torsional behavior of triangular web profile (TRIWP) steel section by experimental study
- 59 Downloads
A triangular web profile (TriWP) is a modified section where the flanges are connected to a web plate of triangular profile. This study examined the torsional behavior of TriWP steel sections and compared to that of the flat web (FW) steel sections. Three types of specimen sizes were used: 180 mm × 75 mm × 5 mm × 2 mm, 200 mm × 100 mm × 8 mm × 6 mm, and 200 mm × 100 mm × 6 mm × 5 mm. All the specimens were loaded vertically until the maximum load was achieved and then the load was released. For both types of specimens, it was observed that the torsional rotation for bigger size [200 mm × 100 mm × 8mm × 6 mm] were smaller than that of smaller size [180 mm × 75 mm × 5mm × 2 mm] of the specimens. At the maximum torsional loading, the experimental result was compared to the theoretical calculation. The comparison showed that the percentage difference ranged from 1.10% to 16.80%. From the graph of torsional load versus rotational angle, the torsional rotation for all TriWP steel sections were smaller than that of the FW steel section under the same torsional loading i.e., 0.2 kNm and 1 kNm. The range between FWand TriWP were 3.74 to 71.83 at 0.2 kNm while 14.5 to 75.1 at 1.0 kNm. The findings were shown that the TriWP steel sections had better resistance against torsion in comparison to FW steel section.
Keywordscorrugated web i-beam non uniform steel section torsion resistance torsion angle triangular web profile steel section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sabarish J, Biju V. Web Buckling Of Castellated Beams. Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering Trivandrum, Kerala, India, 2010Google Scholar
- 12.Jamali S. Torsional behavior of trapezoid web profile. Master Thesis, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2002Google Scholar
- 15.Denan F, Osman M H, Saad S. The study of lateral torsional buckling behavior of beam with trapezoid web steel section by experimental and finite element analysis. International Journal of Research and Reviews in Applied Science, 2010, 221(1-2): 107–111Google Scholar
- 19.De’nan F, Hashim N S. The effect of web corrugation angle on bending performance of triangular web profile steel beam section. International Journal of Energy Engineering, 2012, 2(1): 1–4Google Scholar
- 20.De’nan F. Effect of triangular web profile on the shear behaviour of steel I-beam. Iranica Journal of Energy & Environment, 2013, 4(3): 219–222Google Scholar
- 21.De’nan F, Omar N, Mustapha M. Finite element analysis of torsion behaviour of triangular web profile beam section. In: Proceedings of the PMM Research Colloqium 2012. Politeknik Merlimau, Melaka, January 2012Google Scholar
- 22.Nethercot D A, Salter P R, Malik A S. Design of members subject to combined bending and torsion, SCI Publication 057, The Steel Construction Research, 1997Google Scholar